PDA

View Full Version : Low Iron (Sapphire ) Glass - Is it worth it?

Pokerman11
04/26/2019, 04:03 PM
Looking to set up my next build. Going to go with ~115-120 gal glass.

I've never seen a low iron glass tank in person. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $$?

Also I'm looking around for tank / cabinet suppliers. I was thinking of taking names to my local LFS, or just ordering via the net from like glasscages.com - any suggestions?

Yogre
04/26/2019, 04:26 PM
I wouldn’t do a glass tank without low iron glass, at least on the front viewing pane. To me the difference is very noticeable, especially on thicker glass.

Misled
04/26/2019, 09:23 PM
Also, a lot better to shoot through with a camera.

Harpo
04/27/2019, 07:49 AM
What is the typical cost difference? Is it really a lot easier to scratch?
Mark

moondoggy4
04/27/2019, 08:58 PM
Look into the SCAquariums the 150 model is very popular 5 x 2 x2 they usually have a slae on them, most people get the Ghost overflow upgrade.

Yogre
04/27/2019, 10:27 PM
What is the typical cost difference? Is it really a lot easier to scratch?
Mark

I honestly don’t know the price differential. The front pane of my tank seems to scratch a little more easily than the side panes which are regular glass. I’ve found using a razor blade for cleaning and being very careful not to pick up sand with my cleaner to eliminate scratching altogether.

The difference in clarity and color rendition of the low iron glass makes the more delicate glass worth it to me.

gcarroll
04/28/2019, 05:21 PM
To me, I only feel it's worth it if the tank is over 1/2" glass.

I say this because I can't tell you how many starfire glass tank owners commented about my old tank. The all claimed my star fire tank was so clear. Problem is, it wasn't starfire. But the only way they would know the truth is if they read this thread.

Really though, if the tank is hitting on all cylinders, no one really notices any of the so called problems with the tank.

Alfrareef
04/29/2019, 01:19 AM
Yes. Totally!

Pokerman11
05/02/2019, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys

I just ordered a sapphire glass tank from SC Aquariums.

Looking forward to the new build