PDA

View Full Version : Lava rock endgame

VIVVIV
05/03/2019, 05:30 PM
Could anyone PLEASE give me the definitive lowdown on using lava rock in a refugium. Some say yes, some say no. I would really appreciate an answer based on own use or reliable references.

In case it turns out that it is NOT good, then I have lots for sale dirt cheap. )_;

Thanks

mcgyvr
05/03/2019, 06:46 PM
No...depending on the type it may be high in silica which may feed excessive diatom blooms as well as other elements that may be problematic...

Put it around a tree as some mulch but keep it out of your tank..

PCguy21
05/04/2019, 09:46 PM
In salt water i wouldnt.. but in fresh doesnt hurt anything... in fact they use lava rock as a substrate for a brand called floramax..

billdogg
05/05/2019, 05:55 AM
If you are talking about the reddish dense "lava rock", No, I would not use it. It may contain various heavy metals and/or other toxins, and it has basically 0 porosity making it pretty much useless as a home for beneficial bacteria.

If you are referring to Pumice, then I'll give you a "yes, with caution". It is natural lava rock and so may also contain heavy metals. It also floats due to the large amount of air trapped in it.

I made this reef scene using a + #100 piece of pumice that I carved with spade bits and a drill and a couple chisels. I had to silicone it to the bottom of the tank because the first time I filled it the rock tried to float away! It served as my reef tank for 22 years, so yes, it can work.

please disregard the overgrowth of palythoa!!!
https://i.imgur.com/rI7jzQ0l.jpg