PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Wav Reliability

phenom5
05/04/2019, 09:58 AM
One of my Wavs just stopped. Will not run at all. In Fusion, it shows that it is running the program, but nothing.

I've moved it to a different plug on the 1Link, swapped impellers, given it a good vinegar soak/ teardown, and removed and re-added it. Still no joy.

In looking for info on potential fixes, I've run into a fair number of people with similar experiences. Outside of warranty (mine were purchased in 07/2016), and they just stop responding.

Curious if people are seeing the same. They are a good solution for me. My tank has a 72"x24" footprint. Well established SPS.

I thought about a couple of xf350s, but my tank is pretty grown out (tough problem to have, I know), and I am concerned about the flow from the xf350s stripping the flesh off some of my taller acros.

I had MP40QD's before I switched to the Wavs. Love them, but for my tank's footprint, I found them to be underpowered. I just can't stomach the cost of the 60s right now.

Honestly, I'd love to go to 3 Wavs so I can spread out the flow, and run them a little lower. But I am a little leary of sinking more money into these pumps if they are going to crapout in a year or two.

untico
05/04/2019, 10:33 AM
Read the manual online and upgrade the firmware. I basically had to reinstall them after a power failure in our area and both stopped working. I ended up deleting them from fusion and started an installation like on day one and it all worked fine. Just my experience but they’re bulletproof after almost 3 years. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phenom5
05/04/2019, 01:18 PM
forgot to mention that. upgraded firmware after I deleted/ re-added.

sfdan
05/04/2019, 05:27 PM
I had 3 wavs plugged into my Apex at one time. One day one of them stopped working. The next day the 2nd one stopped worked. The 3rd one continued to work and never broke. Both of them broke exactly like how you described. Nothing was physically wrong with them. I tore them down, cleaned them up, still never worked. All the parts were fine. Tried a bunch of stuff but never got them working again.

Since they were out of warranty Neptune said I could pay $35 each to have them looked at and then they'd tell me how much more to fix them. For a clear manufacturing flaw with the product I found that ridiculous.

Switched to Vortech MPs and Tunze powerheads and they have had perfect reliability.

I'm still a big fan of Neptune and Apex, but not the wav pumps or their support of them.