PDA

View Full Version : Seeding a tank with live rock... aptasia

Alenyc22
05/19/2019, 08:05 AM
I am setting my tank back up after a year or so and i have a bunch of old live rock that i just bleached. I was also given a piece of live rock from my local LFS to “seed” my tank. Once i put that piece of rock in i come to notice about 3 aptasia on that rock. What should i do? Its been in there for about a week now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCKY
05/19/2019, 12:38 PM
I have eradicated aptasia a couple times using the first two methods.
#1 You can inject larger ones with liquid calcium supplement. Knocks them out fast. You can get syringes from Walgreens by asking at pharmacy. Be aware this raises the calcium level in your tank.
#2 Peppermint shrimp have worked for me. I find the wild caught ones shipped from live rock providers in Florida seem more apt to eat aptasia.
#3 I know berghia nudibranches work but they are a bit pricey and then they starve to death.

outssider
05/19/2019, 04:32 PM
If they're on that one rock...take it out...bleach it, dry it and use it at a later date. Re seed with a rock you know has no aptasia or seed with some sand from an established tank.

Uncle99
05/19/2019, 05:48 PM
Yup, remove it, aptasia is a nasty pest!

mcgyvr
05/20/2019, 04:35 AM
Pull the rock and hit those things with a lighter to torch them.. Put the rock right back in the tank after..

allendehl
05/20/2019, 12:59 PM
Boil them with a syringe and hot water. Get close enough and shoot it on the heart!...I've never seen one of those again.