PDA

View Full Version : redo my tank?

tomreefer
06/11/2019, 08:12 AM
I have dino issue that I seem can't get rid of. I am thinking going with Tampa Bay Saltwater and redo my tank.

The question I have can I put my clown and lionfish in a 10 gallon tank temporary with some rock until tank is recycled again?

j.falk
06/11/2019, 08:37 AM
Yes. That would be no different than quarantining them before adding to a display tank. Just make sure the 10 isn't too small for your lion.

Michael Hoaster
06/11/2019, 09:56 AM
Great call on the Florida farmed live rock. Sorry to hear about your dinos. If you're going to redo your tank, I'd suggest fully disinfecting everything that touches water. Use bleach and water and let everything fully dry out.

Even that won't guarantee you won't get dinos again. So it's a good idea to research the different eradication methods out there, and be prepared to fight it. I succeeded by using UV, adding lots of predators (reproducing snails and pods), adding competition for nutrients (Ulva or other fast-growing macro) and lot's of manual removal. Manual removal bypasses the question of what they eat - you are what you eat. What do you think has the most concentration of dino-food? The dinos themselves or the tank water?

Also, a lion fish is very likely to eat your clown fish in a ten gallon tank.

Good luck!

tomreefer
06/11/2019, 11:08 AM
he is a maroon clown. I think though my lion ate my puffer. So if I redo my tank still may get dinos? Dinos caused by low nutrients in water?

Michael Hoaster
06/11/2019, 01:48 PM
I did. Full redo and dinos came back. Unfortunately there many different kinds of dinos, with many different causes and cures. The method I suggested is kind of universal, focusing on the basics that work for all algae. It worked for me.

tomreefer
06/11/2019, 04:26 PM
Interesting. What I heard is because not enough beneficial bacteria (dry rock, sand). I heard best way is to get live rock and sand maybe I misread it.

Michael Hoaster
06/11/2019, 05:42 PM
Both of those things are good. But do they prevent dinos? I don't know. Again, there many types of dinos, which is why it's so confusing to get rid of it. I've read of totally opposite solutions working, probably because they were different dinos.

monkeysee1
06/11/2019, 08:16 PM
The question I have can I put my clown and lionfish in a 10 gallon tank temporary with some rock until tank is recycled again?

How big is your Lion?? If he's more than a couple of inches you might have a problem.....

The DINOS have been a problem for your tank becuase of the high amounts of silicates in your water.
Next time around, how about getting some GFO to prevent DINOS from growing in your new tank??? You can combine it with some ROWA PHOS to bind with BOTH silicates and phosphates in your tank.
Also, just a thought....maybe consider, if you're willing, to go bare bottom next time, try THAT...I recently changed my sand bed to the Tropic Eden white fine Argonite in my tank but man - I see some pretty sharp looking bare bottom reef tanks all the time on the net and I go.. DAYUM...wish I'd had done that....and DINOS and CYANOS aren't particularly fond of bare bottomed tanks....just a thought!! :)
Also keep in mind - DRY rock and sand is the SAFEST way to go - you eliminate the risk of introducing nasties in your tank....of course, it turns live in your tank over time. Just get a bottle of kick-start bacteria and cycle!! Unless your certain that the LIVE rock you purchase is TRULY aquacultured (farmed)....