PDA

View Full Version : ReefBreeders LED, How to make corals glow?

ThaChad
06/29/2019, 08:16 AM
Hey all,

I have a 90g with 48” ReefBreeders LED light,

Is there a setting to make corals glow?

When I go to the stores their corals are like under back light. When I bring them home? They are just bleh.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

mcgyvr
06/29/2019, 09:08 AM
Turn up the blue channel/near uv/uv...
Acid trip corals/tanks run heavy blue lighting and little white lighting...

reefteaser
06/30/2019, 05:31 AM
That’s how I have my 50-V2 set. The white channel maxes out at 35%, the blues, and violet 60-80%. Been using this light for 3 years and very happy with it.

ThaChad
06/30/2019, 09:08 AM
That’s how I have my 50-V2 set. The white channel maxes out at 35%, the blues, and violet 60-80%. Been using this light for 3 years and very happy with it.

Would you mind sharing your lighting schedule and channel settings?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

reefteaser
06/30/2019, 09:45 AM
Happy to, but I’m on the road until Wednesday night. I have an excel spreadsheet on my pc at home, I’ll post when I can.

moondoggy4
06/30/2019, 11:43 AM
What are your setting's now? You do not want to burn your corals.

ThaChad
06/30/2019, 12:16 PM
What are your setting's now? You do not want to burn your corals.

I attached my current light schedule.

Thanks

ThaChad
06/30/2019, 12:20 PM
This is what my Frogspawn coral looks like and my Purple Green Urchin look like, and a picture of what the Purple Green Urchin is SUPPOSE to look like and what he looked like at the fish store..

I have no color. it's all Blue/purple. My Star Polyps are flourcent green though.

outssider
06/30/2019, 03:42 PM
to get that purple on the urchin (rather than blue) you need to go to a whiter light but other corals may not look as good.

reefteaser
07/04/2019, 03:01 AM
Here's my light schedule. I had forgotten I ended up turning down the whites further than I remembered. The light is about 8 inches from the surface and 22 inches to the sand. Softies, LPS and SPS all doing quite well color and growth-wise.
iPhone pictures are REALLY blue, but to my eye only a little. A yellow filter improves the pics quite a bit.

reefteaser
07/04/2019, 03:16 AM
In my case, my settings came from a mix of trial and error, moving some coral around a bit, and personal taste. I've never used a par meter, but I'm sure it would have helped, and might still. I just enjoy playing around with things, although in this hobby, I've had to restrain myself to make small changes and wait for a while.
I'm on the road for 8 days, then home for 6, wash, rinse, repeat. The tank usually looks better after I've been away not messing with it.

wildman926
07/04/2019, 11:43 AM
IMO, sellers of corals always have them under blue light. The fantastic picture you see is when white light is added for the taking of the picture.

When I watch any show concerning corals, deep sea, etc., all that reaches is blue light. But, the camera's light hit them and then you see the beautiful colors.

I try to mimic this with my lighting. Blues start ramping up at 1 pm, then full blue by 6 pm, 7 pm - 10 pm I add T5 HO ATI Coral Plus bulbs for my viewing pleasure.

Bpb
07/06/2019, 08:29 AM
It’s a combination of intensity, spectrum, parameters, and genetics. Opinions on this vary considerably. But I am of the camp that providing high intensity full spectrum light will produce more color. Running all blue all the time may lead to faded colors. Running a short period of high intensity full spectrum (which you may find unattractive) will result in more vibrant colors when viewing your corals under blues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro