PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight, LED's and Algae

TwoShoesOrOne
06/29/2019, 03:33 PM
Why is it that even indirect sunlight really stimulates algae growth? Seems to have a HUGE effect even though the sunlight is only there for 6-8 hours a day while the LED's are on about 12 hours?

Just hungry for a scientific explanation.

Thank you

wrott
06/29/2019, 04:56 PM
It's likely due to the spectrum of the sun, about 4000K. Most plants prefer the long wavelength of red color light, 600nM.
And even indirect sunlight is very full of photons.

mcgyvr
06/30/2019, 05:46 AM
Yep.. Spectrum of the light..

hegeh
06/30/2019, 09:04 AM
Having algae is not a problem..its normal. But the problem is uncontrollable algae outbreak covering your tank.

Ps: i regretted not putting my tank near window for natural sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TwoShoesOrOne
06/30/2019, 02:08 PM
It's likely due to the spectrum of the sun, about 4000K. Most plants prefer the long wavelength of red color light, 600nM.
And even indirect sunlight is very full of photons.

I don't understand why you would even bother to answer the question. It is quite obvious that you know very little about the topic, so why waste time posting irrelevant non-sequiturs?

If you just want to chat drop me a line and we can talk about whatever you like. When someone stops you to ask for directions to some place would you just make it up and send them on their way?

wrott
06/30/2019, 02:50 PM
I don't understand why you would even bother to answer the question. It is quite obvious that you know very little about the topic, so why waste time posting irrelevant non-sequiturs?

If you just want to chat drop me a line and we can talk about whatever you like. When someone stops you to ask for directions to some place would you just make it up and send them on their way?

Thanks 2shoes, that is hilarious! I really needed a laugh today!!

TwoShoesOrOne
06/30/2019, 02:53 PM
Thanks 2shoes, that is hilarious! I really needed a laugh today!!

My pleasure. It's getting hard to read my monitor. Too many damn photons. Not the wave ones, just the particle ones miss bewaving.

bshow24
06/30/2019, 11:53 PM

the spectrum of sunlight is the correct answer.

However, if your tank has little to no levels of phosphates, then most likely having sunlight won’t cause a problem. I know and have seen several outdoor tanks which use the sun as their primary light and they have little to no algae because they are well maintained. And the growth of corals in them is second to none.

TwoShoesOrOne
07/01/2019, 07:17 AM
the spectrum of sunlight is the correct answer.

However, if your tank has little to no levels of phosphates, then most likely having sunlight won’t cause a problem. I know and have seen several outdoor tanks which use the sun as their primary light and they have little to no algae because they are well maintained. And the growth of corals in them is second to none.

Wish I could have outdoor tanks. Tried it once but it all goes to hell when they froze over:dance:

boxfishpooalot
11/06/2019, 11:12 AM
The spectrum of sunlight durring the golden hour might be 4k. But at noon its around 5500-6500k depending on your location on Earth.

The reason algae grows so well is the intensity of the sun and having a full spectrum light source that will stimulate all chlorophyll compounds in plants. If you limit red for example your plants wont use for example chlorophyll a (as an example)