PDA

View Full Version : Back from a nearly 8 year hiatus, what'd I miss?

Mishap
07/07/2019, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone,

So I've been out of the hobby since 2011, and I wanna get back in.

My wife and kids came home from a carnival with 3 goldfish, 2 of which have died. The 3rd is still alive and kicking in a 5g tank.

Once this last one bites the dust I would like to turn it into a nano reef. My end game is to use the nano as a gateway to getting the wife to agree to a 3x3x2 reef in the living room.

That being said, I have no idea whats around anymore for lighting, flow, filtration etc. So I would appreciate any input you guys may have.

My thoughts were to use an aquaclear filter and just do weekly water changes.

Thanks,
Mishap

Nereaga
07/09/2019, 07:18 AM
I just got back into it after 10 years of being away. One thing I learned is this site and many other forums which were once heavily used, are a thing of the past. I remember this place hopping with info and items for sale.

LED’s seem to have changed the lighting game now. Factual info about PAR readings are out there. No more Mh/T5’s.

Filtration is still the same mostly. Sand, rock, Skimmer, high flow, water changes, etc.

Good Luck! I will say it’s just as fun as 10 years ago!

tkeracer619
07/10/2019, 11:13 AM
Yeah, people are using facebook to get their reefing advice through instant gratification from people who don't have a clue.

Equipment is getting better. I still buy and use metal halide. A lot of people do.

Welcome back!

Nereaga
07/11/2019, 07:18 AM
Yeah, people are using facebook to get their reefing advice through instant gratification from people who don't have a clue.

Equipment is getting better. I still buy and use metal halide. A lot of people do.

Welcome back!

This was the first place I came to after acquiring a setup through a friend who was moving. I was excited to come back and snag some used equipment and local live rock/corals. Sadly, I found equipment on FB.

Still this site has a plethora of information, you just got to know where to look.

Many people still use Mh/T5 lighting. That’s is all I strictly ran 10 years ago. Trying LED’s this time around.

moondoggy4
07/11/2019, 09:36 AM
A nice way and cheap way to get back in is to get a IM Lagoon 25 with the rear chamber, super easy, lots of videos on You Tube showing off their tanks. Skimmers are a-lot cheaper. Instead of skimmer war when you were in the hobby you missed the Led vs the world war, so the comprise was hybrid. I kinda of like your dimension of your dream tank but I like a 36" X 30" X 24" and hang a single 250 radium with dual XHO Reef Brite Leds.

Welcome back