PDA

View Full Version : 75 Gallon Set up Question

Jason82
08/11/2019, 08:38 PM
I have a new 75 Gallon upgrade from a previous 55 gallon that has been set up for a week now. The new Tank got approximately 35 gallons of water from the old set up and bio balls from the old wet dry went into the sump in what will eventually become the refugium on the new tank. I also added Fritz Zyme 9 to help things along.

The new tank, had a ver small cycle with Ammonia never getting above .25. Never had Nitrite or Nitrate readings at all, but I did have a diatom Blume. That is almost all gone now.

For the last three days, I have tested 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate.

The live rock from the old tank is in the process of cooking (8 weeks) I added 40 lbs of dry rock to the new tank.

Here is my question: how soon can I remove the bio balls without risking removing needed bacteria? it will be 7 weeks before I can add the rest of my rock to the tank. Only 40 lbs right now.

BTW: this is an in the wall build. Thought I would include a photo of my progress so far.

Thank you in advance for advice.

LIreefguy
08/11/2019, 08:44 PM
You could probably remove them but I will ask you this question. What’s your rush. It can’t hurt to leave them in there for a couple of weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jason82
08/11/2019, 08:49 PM
Good point, I'm getting ready to order a package of reef cleaners and thought I would order Chaetomorpha and pods at the same time.

Guess I'm excited to see the whole set up done. Too early?

j.falk
08/12/2019, 05:15 AM
Slow down on getting the tank stocked and get to work finishing that drywall...you've still got a lot of taping and mudding to do. ;)

Jason82
08/12/2019, 05:23 AM
I hate muddling! Most miserable job in home improvement. That’s why I’m putting floor laminate on the wall. No kidding. No sanding. No mess. :lolspin:

Jason82
08/12/2019, 05:24 AM
Auto correct got me. Not “ no kidding” insert “ no mudding

j.falk
08/12/2019, 09:01 AM
I hate mudding! Most miserable job in home improvement. That’s why I’m putting floor laminate on the wall. No kidding. No sanding. No mess. :lolspin:

The sanding is what kills me. About halfway through a job I just want to quit. :headwally:

LIreefguy
08/12/2019, 09:43 AM
You don’t have a lot of rock in tank
I would probably put some marine pure bricks in your sump to help with biological filtration

I would do 2

mcgyvr
08/12/2019, 10:04 AM
The live rock from the old tank is in the process of cooking (8 weeks)

You don’t have a lot of rock in tank

Seems they have more to add already..

LIreefguy
08/12/2019, 10:09 AM
Seems they have more to add already..

Thanks I missed that in his first post

Jason82
08/12/2019, 07:18 PM
I’ve decided to leave thing as they are until my live rock is ready to add to the tank. I’m going to take my time with this.

LIreefguy
08/12/2019, 07:54 PM
A few snails won’t hurt adding though imo I would add 5-10 trochus snails Should be enough since they are able to breed in tank

Jason82
08/18/2019, 03:04 PM
Thought I'd give an update on the tank in wall project. I ended up taking LIreefguy's advice and I did add some snails and a cleaner shrimp. but I'm still holding off on any other additions until my rock is ready.

As you can see the project is coming along. I still have trim to do, still need to build my cabinets on the office side and then I need to figure out how to mount electronics. All in good time.