PDA

View Full Version : RO Filter

moe103
08/13/2019, 04:42 PM
If I don’t have any chlorine or chloramine in my tap water should I still be running a carbon filter or would I be better off running two foam filters? Which would extend the life of both my DI resin and the RO membrane?

Thanks

mcgyvr
08/13/2019, 06:11 PM
Yes you should likely still run carbon...
Are you on a well or something?

moe103
09/11/2019, 08:12 AM
No, public water. The test strips I used are for pools and they read 0. Maybe they are inaccurate?

mcgyvr
09/11/2019, 12:36 PM
No, public water. The test strips I used are for pools and they read 0. Maybe they are inaccurate?

Where specifically are you located? What city (zip code?) ? Have you gone to your city website to pull down a copy of your water report?

Opus123
09/13/2019, 03:55 PM
If I don’t have any chlorine or chloramine in my tap water should I still be running a carbon filter or would I be better off running two foam filters? Which would extend the life of both my DI resin and the RO membrane?

Thanks

The prefilters job is to protect the RO membrane. The sediment filter takes out any undissolved particles that are bigger than the micron rating you buy and the carbon filter takes out chemicals that can harm the RO membrane. The RO membrane is doing all the work that will help your DI last longer. Buying low micron rated sediment filter might help, just depends on what is in your water. Typically if you change out the pre-filters every 6 months you should get 3 to 5+ years out of your RO membrane. About all you can do for the DI is buy a 99% rejection rated RO membrane.