PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Fritz Salt Into Water That is Too Warm??

Kengar
08/23/2019, 02:17 PM
I just bought my first box of Fritz salt mix (blue box).

According to directions on the box, you should mix with water that is between 70 and 75 degrees F, then heat to match tank temperature after saltwater has been mixed.

I have a 50-gallon bin of water ready to go, but based on where the built-in temperature controller on the heater used to heat the water clicks off, I'd say it's currently at about 80 or 82 degrees. So, question: what negative effects, if any, would there be if I went ahead and mixed it up in warmer water?

I've got a box fan blowing at the exterior of the vat of water at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be moving the temp down very noticeably.

outssider
08/23/2019, 05:32 PM
You could get some calcium/alk precipitating out, especially on the mixing pump.

moondoggy4
08/23/2019, 07:46 PM
Can you throw a fan on the container to cool it dow?

mcgyvr
08/23/2019, 09:02 PM
People make life so hard sometimes....
Put salt in water...mix...add to tank

Kengar
08/24/2019, 12:34 PM
People make life so hard sometimes....
Put salt in water...mix...add to tank

there are instructions on things for a reason....... call me naive, but knowing this I tend to follow them....

Like "Remember what you "oughter," add the acid to the water....." per 9th grade science. 10th grade science, Mark Levine does it the other way around and ends up with a trip to the hospital with caustic solution into the face...

"If you add water into concentrated acid, the heat will go into the still very concentrated acid. This can cause it to fume, spatter or even boil – giving off corrosive fumes and droplets. If you add acid into water, the heat is absorbed by the water which just warms slightly but remains un-reactive"

Kengar
08/24/2019, 12:35 PM
Can you throw a fan on the container to cool it dow?

Per OP, "I've got a box fan blowing at the exterior of the vat of water at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be moving the temp down very noticeably."

Opened up the lid and let the fan blow all night and was down to 75 so good to go.

mfinn
08/24/2019, 07:12 PM
I've mixed Fritz at 78-80 frequently and saw no precipt.

Kengar
08/25/2019, 02:08 PM
I've mixed Fritz at 78-80 frequently and saw no precipt.

thank for the info

reefgeezer
08/26/2019, 08:08 AM
I use Fritz salt. Even at 78 F, it'll precipitate if you dump in a bunch all at once. Most salts will. I mix 40 gallons at a time. Just add the salt a couple of cups at a time while allowing a little time in between each addition for it to dissolve.

FYI... Fritz will always leave a little precipitation on the bottom of the vat. I think it's excess metals and other impurities.

Kengar
09/05/2019, 07:26 PM
I use Fritz salt. Even at 78 F, it'll precipitate if you dump in a bunch all at once. Most salts will. I mix 40 gallons at a time. Just add the salt a couple of cups at a time while allowing a little time in between each addition for it to dissolve.

FYI... Fritz will always leave a little precipitation on the bottom of the vat. I think it's excess metals and other impurities.

I think I'm going to go back to Accurasea1.

bshow24
09/06/2019, 11:33 PM
I use fritz and i've mixed >80 as well as <70. I've never had a problem. I agree with mcgyvr here, too much complication. Poor the salt into the water, mix it over night, test it the next day at the same temp your tank runs at, and then tinker if needed.