PDA

View Full Version : shelf life?

crankbait09
09/10/2019, 09:28 AM
Is there a shelf life when it comes to flake food, pellet food, or coral food?
I have some used containers of these types of food and was wondering how long they can remain without being used.

I am shutting my tank down for a number of months, but not sure if I should hold on to the food, or replace with new when the time comes.

Gut tells me to do away with it and buy new later

mcgyvr
09/10/2019, 10:04 AM
Depends on the food..
Consult manufacturer..

"Shelf Life" can be 3 years or more per some manufacturers sites per google..
Often an expiration is printed on the package..

I have used food that is 5+ years old without any noticeable issue..

crankbait09
09/10/2019, 10:07 AM
Didn't think about the date. I'll check that, but I can't imagine dried goods would go bad.
thanks for the input

mcgyvr
09/10/2019, 10:14 AM
I can't imagine dried goods would go bad.

Anything exposed to the air will be continually losing "something" over time..
Even vacuum sealed stuff has a shelf life,etc..

billdogg
09/10/2019, 10:36 AM
When I was in Basic Training in 1978, we were eating C Rations that had been boxed up in 1952, and I turned out ok? :hmm6::hmm5::hmm6:

I'm with mcgyvr. Look for a expiration date and consider tossing the old stuff. Frozen will end up with freezer burn after awhile so that's an easy one.

Why the tear down? Moving again?

crankbait09
09/10/2019, 12:22 PM
Hey Bill, wow, long time no talk. How ya been?

If you recall, I was moving in to a new place, and the tank is being stationed in the basement (I'm on the 2nd floor). As you stated BEFORE I moved, that I should consider tearing down the tank till I got to a better place where I can enjoy the tank in the comfort of my own home/living room.

I didn't think it would be all bad. I was able to keep it up and running in the basement for a year and a half. It's becoming a bit much to go down there each night to feed, maintain/clean, and then back up I go. I'm not enjoying it as I thought I would. So I am looking to move again, back in to a house, and when that does happen, I will have this tank back up and running. Right now, it's just wasted money, just to keep it up and running, just for the sake of keeping it. Not very enjoyable.

It saddens me, BUT, I am not selling any equipment. Just the livestock. I will have it back up and running, once I move. I really enjoy the tank, when I can see it :)

Like always, you know best

Corals have all been sold, now I'm working on the fish. I'm thinking I'll have all the fish sold by winter. But that is coming pretty quick.

billdogg
09/11/2019, 06:08 AM
All is good up here. Sadly, we lost Cooper last week. Two new puppies are coming home 10/7 so Cody will have someone to play with.

You should ask your LFS if they'll give you credit for use in the future for your fish. That is often the easiest way to take care of them. Then when you are ready to reboot, you'll have some credit ready to use!

Let me know if I can help with anything!

crankbait09
09/11/2019, 06:11 AM
aww, I'm sorry. What kind of puppies you got coming home?

If I don't hear anything from anyone within a week, I'll check with a fish store.

MondoBongo
09/11/2019, 08:57 AM
fwiw my concern about old food isn't that it "goes bad" but just that over time the nutrients will degrade.

i'm using some old flake food now, about 3 years old at this point, and it's been on my mind to chuck it and get some fresh stuff. it's cheap enough to just toss if i don't use it.

outside of that concern though, as long as it stays dry/frozen as the situation warrants, i wouldn't be worried about using it.

crankbait09
09/11/2019, 09:00 AM
I was looking on the container of my 16oz reef-roids last night, I saw no expiration date. the containers completely full. How long does this last?

crankbait09
09/12/2019, 06:00 AM
speaking of shelf life......I have an unopened pouch (7lb) of calcium chloride from BRS.
How long do I have till this goes bad, or will it?

I have a couple bottles of Prime that have been opened and used. Does Prime have a shelf life?

I think that's all that's left that I'd be concerned with

billdogg
09/12/2019, 06:17 AM
aww, I'm sorry. What kind of puppies you got coming home?

If I don't hear anything from anyone within a week, I'll check with a fish store.

Little ones! :-)

Mini Schnauzer/Boston Terrier mix. The little girl on the left has blue eyes.

https://i.imgur.com/dUL6bpBl.jpg