PDA

View Full Version : Crazy RO/DI question

dawgs
09/23/2019, 08:28 AM
I no longer have a aquarium set up but I do still have my ro/di system. Its a 5 stage system. Im assuming all systems have the water intake....then good water tube and waste water tube.

Can I convert this system for drinking water? Obviously the good water will be the drinking water but How do I eliminate the waste tube water?

Thanks

mcgyvr
09/23/2019, 12:23 PM
To convert a RO/DI system to a drinking water system you would typically remove the DI stage (most will not like the "uber clean" lack of taste associated with DI water).
Then add a pressure tank so that you have sufficient storage/pressure to fill a glass or whatever you intend to use it for quickly (remember the output of RO/DI is very slow)..Then you add a drinking faucet on the output of the RO membrane/storage tank.

You will still have waste water as its something that a RO membrane requires for its proper function.

If you wanted just taste/sediment filtration then you could also just ditch the RO membrane and only utilize the sediment and carbon blocks for your water filtration system..
This would negate the need for a pressure tank as well as eliminate the need for a "waste" water line.. However your water will not be removed of the incoming "TDS" that the RO membrane filters out and would just have sediment (sand,etc.) and some chlorine taste removed from it. It would still contain all of the phosphates/nitrates/silicates and many more solids that the RO membrane removes..

dawgs
09/23/2019, 12:41 PM
Wow. Thanks for that information. Very informative

dawgs
09/23/2019, 01:14 PM
so what do i eliminate to get rid of the waste water tube and hook it directly to a faucet to use for drinking?

Im trying to post a picture of the system but i dont know how to lol

dawgs
09/23/2019, 01:23 PM
i can describe it lol i have 4 vertical clear cylinder filters and 1 horizontal white cylinder filter

mcgyvr
09/23/2019, 03:19 PM
i can describe it lol i have 4 vertical clear cylinder filters and 1 horizontal white cylinder filter

You remove the ro membrane (likely the horizontal cylinder) and anything after it.
You keep the prefilters before it and just run that output to a faucet or whatever..