PDA

View Full Version : best option to increase salinity, reduce cal and alk

blink
09/30/2019, 03:20 AM
What's the best option to increase salinity (1.022) and lower calcium (500) and alk (15)?

Thanks in advance.

mcgyvr
09/30/2019, 04:32 AM
Besides changing to a different saltmix... <--likely the best option long term depending on why you are having this problem in the first place..

You would...
Add saltwater at a higher salinity, don't worry about the calcium and use muriatic acid to lower the alk

hkgar
09/30/2019, 02:41 PM
What salt mix and have you check the alk and ca of it? What's in your tank, i.e., types of corals. LPS and SPS will use up the alk and ca.

Here is a guide to salt mixes (http://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide).

bertoni
09/30/2019, 02:55 PM
To raise the salinity, just top off with saltwater or part saltwater for a few days or so. I might do half strength saltwater, depending on the evaporation rate. That level isn't low enough to be an emergency.

Lowering calcium and alkalinity is harder, and would require switching the brand of salt, assuming that the levels are consistent with the mix. What are the levels now, and what are your targets?

blink
10/01/2019, 12:26 AM
Thanks, everyone. I have the tank (150G) up for about 5 years with fish only thus the lower salinity. I'm trying to slowly add some easy corals. I tried to use Kalk water to raise the CA and ALK but I guess I added too much. I'm using the Live Aquaria salt.

mcgyvr
10/01/2019, 04:30 AM
Just wait it out then.. It will lower on its own..

five.five-six
10/01/2019, 07:55 AM
Thanks, everyone. I have the tank (150G) up for about 5 years with fish only thus the lower salinity. I'm trying to slowly add some easy corals. I tried to use Kalk water to raise the CA and ALK but I guess I added too much. I'm using the Live Aquaria salt.

If you don't have any stony corals in the tank, the only real problem with high alk and Ca is you will start finding calcification on heat sources like pumps and at the water line. this can be mitigated by raising magnesium.