PDA

View Full Version : Snail/Slug ID help Please

Constantine
01/02/2020, 09:47 AM
Hello,

Got this guy on a frag, and its not leaving the cup till I get an ID.

Black on top, white "foot", little spikes from the top side, long antennae, about 1/2" long, does not appear to have a shell.

Much appreciated.

JWClark
01/02/2020, 11:54 AM
Most likely a stomatella. Good guys that I like to have around. As far as I know, you can't buy them anywhere now that inland aquatics shut down (though I haven't looked hard).

Almost never see them during the day.

Anemone
01/02/2020, 02:09 PM
Yep, stomatella. Good guys.

Kevin

Constantine
01/02/2020, 03:50 PM
Thank you both. I was concerned by the additional antennae or whatever they are. I guess there is a wide variety.

Zalick
01/02/2020, 04:06 PM
These can breed in tank too.

Constantine
01/03/2020, 07:44 AM
He was in the frag cup a couple days, but it seemed fine when I added it to the tank. Once under good lighting, I could see the small shell. In the cup and under lessor lights, it didn't look like it had a shell. The shell is actually kind of purple, on a black body. It looks really cool.

Thanks for helping it into the tank instead of the garbage.

cody6766
01/03/2020, 07:31 PM
They'll breed well if conditions are normal. Many things need "right" to breed, stomatella snails just need normal. They're free clean up crew and will do a great job augmenting your CUC.

Anemone
01/03/2020, 07:40 PM
They'll breed well if conditions are normal. Many things need "right" to breed, stomatella snails just need normal.

One thing that can mess that equation up is cleaner shrimp. Cleaners seem to enjoy snail on the half-shell. They won't wipe out the population overnight, but they WILL wipe it out.

FWIW,
Kevin