PDA

View Full Version : Algae scrubber flow

alemone
01/06/2020, 08:12 PM
I just put in service a 60-watt Icecap algae scrubber. The manual calls for flow in the range of 10 gallons a minute. Why on earth would it need that much flow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
01/06/2020, 09:33 PM
Thats really not that much IMO..
Specs I saw said 500gph..

alemone
01/07/2020, 04:50 PM
Thats really not that much IMO..
Specs I saw said 500gph..

Those numbers are basically the same. I just fail to see why a slow process like this would call for gallons upon gallons every minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Floyd R Turbo
01/07/2020, 07:01 PM
My recommendations for initial flow rate is just enough to provide even coverage across the screen. The initial "35 GPH per inch of screen width" rule is out the door, I now recommend that as the maximum flow. For a start, you only need basic coverage, which you should judge after at least 2-3 days of running because bare plastic canvas channels the water - after a few days, you have a slime coating that allows the water to spread more evenly, and then you can adjust the flow a bit

Keep in mind that my recommendations are generally based on a slot pipe scenario and not a spray bar, but that shouldn't make a major difference initially at least.

ryeguyy84
01/07/2020, 07:25 PM
I use a Cobalt mj1200 on mine, the valve is 3/4 closed after a cleaning and wide open once algae start covering the little holes

This is how the holes get after a few days, they suck to clean. I'm going to make a shield one day to try and keep the light off of them.

Get some orings for the sides of the tube so when they clog the water won't run down the sides of the unit.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200108/b63499bc097bcd0d64c92d479ec7d4eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HAMreef
01/08/2020, 08:17 AM
I use a Cobalt mj1200 on mine, the valve is 3/4 closed after a cleaning and wide open once algae start covering the little holes

This is how the holes get after a few days, they suck to clean. I'm going to make a shield one day to try and keep the light off of them.

Get some orings for the sides of the tube so when they clog the water won't run down the sides of the unit.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200108/b63499bc097bcd0d64c92d479ec7d4eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What is this exactly and what is is for and how does it work? If you don’t mind me asking? Just trying to learn. I have seen these before but never an explanation of what it is exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
01/08/2020, 09:09 AM
What is this exactly and what is is for and how does it work? If you don’t mind me asking? Just trying to learn. I have seen these before but never an explanation of what it is exactly.

ATS = Algae Turf Scrubber
A device allowing you to grow and harvest algae for nutrient/metals,etc... reduction/exporting.
Often when providing a specific place for algae to grow you can control and contain it to just that area and benefit from the positives it serves in a marine environment.

The roughed up screen or other surface gives the algae a spot to cling on and grow.. The water flow keeps it exposed to the water/oxygenated,etc.. and a focused light allows it to grow rapidly to consume the "bad" and to be exported..
It can also provide a spot for pod growth,etc.. like a "refugium"

HAMreef
01/08/2020, 09:26 AM
Thanks so much for sharing that info! I was curious as to the beneficial properties this system has in comparison to something such as a Chaeto reactor which seems to do something similar to that. I only have a 20 long but in the future my now freshwater discus tank will be converted into a saltwater reef. Then maybe I will be able to see what these are all about! Thanks again for the info! I will look further into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyd R Turbo
01/08/2020, 10:05 AM
http://algaescrubber.zohosites.com/

You can also find the thread on this site "Algae Scrubber Basics" http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420