PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Net Volume

dubmaneh
01/11/2020, 10:25 AM
I need to figure out my net volume for dosing of medications. I had this nailed down but changes to the system/coral growth have changed those numbers.

Thinking its between 70-75gallons but want to be sure.

What is the easiest way to figure out the net volume my system without irritating the inhabitants?

Thanks,

hkgar
01/11/2020, 02:39 PM
This should help. (http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html) Do you dose two part by chance? There is a way to calculate volume by amount dosed.

dubmaneh
01/11/2020, 04:02 PM
Thanks but I have no idea of the weight of my rocks or sand. I do dose 2 part. I suppose I could use the calculator and see how much a given dose raises the alk.

bertoni
01/11/2020, 06:13 PM
That's what I did, in the end. Just try some doses and back-calculate to the volume. I'd be cautious about assuming any high degree of precision, though.

hkgar
01/12/2020, 04:12 PM
When calculating volume based on amount dosed, I would recommend doing the calculations based on the dose of Magnesium. I use 3.5 dKh of alkalinity /day and the amount of time between dose and measurement needs to be taken into consideration, plus I have no idea how long an even distribution of the dose throughout the tank may take.

I have a 180 DT and 30 sump (gallons) and calculating based on dose gave me a net volume of 127 gallons.