PDA

View Full Version : Is the origin of livestock very important?

Zionas
04/04/2020, 05:08 AM
I am very wary of fish caught in Southeast Asia and parts of South Asia because I heard cyanide is very frequently used there. My LFS estimates up to 90% (!) of fish from Southeast Asia were more or less caught using cyanide. I can get my clownfish from my LFS captive bred as even China regularly does captive bred clowns these days, and some of their other fish are from outside Southeast / South Asia.

Do you feel the origin of your livestock greatly impacts your success rate? Do you tend to prefer livestock from certain regions over others if you were given the choice?

Let me know your thoughts, especially when it comes to fish from Southeast and South Asia.

HumbleFish
04/04/2020, 08:25 AM
I would avoid fish from the Philippines as cyanide collection is still common there (although it is technically illegal).

Fish from Australia are probably the least likely to have been exposed to cyanide, but you will pay a premium for them.

Zionas
04/04/2020, 09:13 AM
What have your experiences been with fish from Indonesia and the Central / South Pacific? What about fish from East Africa, the Red Sea, Hawaii and the Caribbean?