PDA

View Full Version : Red Monti Cap

RBU1
04/24/2020, 08:26 AM
Just curious. Any idea what would cause a monti cap to have white specs on it. Not sure how to describe but almost like a slight whitening of the raised bumpy part. All parameters are good

Alk 9dkh
Cal 480
Po4 .03
Nitrates around 10

Not sure what’s causing it. Been in the tank for over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlSimmons
04/24/2020, 10:14 AM
Pictures? Has anything changed recently? Any new additions?

RBU1
04/24/2020, 10:17 AM
Pictures? Has anything changed recently? Any new additions?

Nope nothing has changed. Hard to capture in a picture. Looks like someone sprinkled powder on it. Not a lot just some.

HumbleFish
04/24/2020, 11:59 AM
Sounds like it is bleaching in certain spots.

RBU1
04/24/2020, 12:45 PM
Sounds like it is bleaching in certain spots.

Yeah. Wonder why. Nothing has changed.

gprdypoo04
04/24/2020, 12:45 PM
I would agree.

HumbleFish
04/24/2020, 01:08 PM
Yeah. Wonder why. Nothing has changed.

I know you said all parameters are fine, but one reason why I like keeping at least one monti cap in every tank is they are sensitive to changing water chemistry. They will start bleaching if something is off BUT won't just die right away like an acro will. For me, it was usually because calcium or alkalinity were too high or too low, or phosphates/nitrates were climbing.

RBU1
04/24/2020, 01:12 PM
Well calcium and all stay fairly constant I dose 40ml of each daily with a doser. Only
Recent change was adding amino acids. Started adding 20ml a day of a acro power. Want to see if it does anything for color. Nitrates and phosphates remain low I test weekly. If I see a rise in phosphates I change out my GFO.

gprdypoo04
04/24/2020, 01:44 PM
Cant really go wrong with monticaps. I had a huge red cap in my tank for years. During that time I think I had small areas on my too but nothing really became of it. I tried adding some potassium but can't remember if it helped or not. There were also many times my alk fluctuated too. I would just leave it unless the spots continue to grow.

AlSimmons
04/24/2020, 02:24 PM
Maybe some salt creep fell on the Montipora? This has been known to create white spots like that.

OrionN
04/25/2020, 07:25 AM
Nothing beat a good picture. Without a clear idea of what we are talking about it is hard to guess what is the cause and what to do about it.
It is like: What is the cause and what to do about an animal that "maybe off"? Well at least the good thing is it is not dead yet.

RBU1
04/25/2020, 10:31 AM
Nothing beat a good picture. Without a clear idea of what we are talking about it is hard to guess what is the cause and what to do about it.
It is like: What is the cause and what to do about an animal that "maybe off"? Well at least the good thing is it is not dead yet.

I’ll try and get a picture