PDA

View Full Version : Accurate home testing

fishkeeprian
08/07/2020, 06:04 AM
Hello,

So regarding the home test kits, what are the DO's to make the test kits we have as accurate as possible?

Thanks

Vinny Kreyling
08/07/2020, 07:59 AM
Consistency with how you do the test.
If I need a small spoon of powder I level it off with some plastic so I get it right every time. Get the water sample as close to the same spot on the syringe line, things like these help.

wsboyette
08/07/2020, 09:42 AM
Stay away from those cheepie API test strips, I had some that were reading false negatives.

bertoni
08/07/2020, 03:00 PM
I agree with consistency.

Follow the instructions carefully. For some test kits, like calcium, there is a time required for the reaction to occur, which means waiting between titration drops.

Keep reagent bottles capped as much as possible. While the top is off, water can evaporate, which leads to incorrect readings over time.

Alex114
08/07/2020, 04:10 PM
Personally I use my phone timer when stirring up the solution. So if it says shake for 15 seconds I time it and stop at exactly 15 seconds. I had problems with Red Sea magnesium test until I started doing that

Sk8r
08/07/2020, 06:13 PM
Get tests that return actual numbers, where possible. 'Kinda pink' is hard to classify. 8.3 is a fact, not an approximation of pinkness. Salifert is mostly numbers.

Watch for color flashes as you add drops in Salifert: those indicate you're reaching the critical point and it's close to 'turning' full-on done.

Also: set your test tube on a white surface under good light and look down the tube when working, like adding drops; That gives you the truest view. View from overhead, never sideways. You're also more likely to see the flash when viewed from that angle.

Also, anytime they give you a measure in tsp or such---they mean LEVEL, not heaping. That's basic cookery---and chemistry. If ever they want heaping they will use that precise word.