PDA

View Full Version : White build up on glass

witzbold
08/22/2020, 02:44 PM
A few months ago I kept getting a bacterial bloom and it seemed like it lasted for two days after I would change socks... zapped my nutrients to 0 every time and ultimately lost a lot of color on my sps. I would wake up the next day to all the inside glass coated with white. Easily removed with the soft side of a flipper. The build up was not slimy or thick. It would wipe off and look like dust once it hit the water column. I've never had cloudy water, just that build up on the glass. I tossed the socks and started to use a power filter instead and wow what a difference that little thing makes. I no longer have the blooms due to the sock change out BUT... I do get the blooms if I feed any type of coral food or try to dose any aminos or vitamins. I do not carbon dose, never have. System is simple: skimmer, rock in fuge and power filter. Any ideas what type of bacteria I am looking at and what I can do to minimize it to manageable levels.

kharmaguru
08/23/2020, 10:10 AM
Sounds like normal nitrifying bacteria that haven't found a home. Bare bottom, manmade or dry rock in a fairly new setup I'm guessing? Likely need more rock, flow and time.