PDA

View Full Version : New clam..need help again >:(

Renzema
11/25/2003, 01:13 AM
Okay now I have a new problem and its not the clams health, it is completely open and is looking great, but of course fate has to through me another curve ball. My BTA has decided it want's to live about 3" away and that to close for comfort. So I want to move the clam, since I have enough light to put it where ever. I put a small rock under it so it could attach to that but instead it attached to all the rocks around it. It is not well attached yet but I don't want to cause any problems.

What is the easiest way to move it? I don't want to pull it off and damage it since it is just settled in. I can hold moving it for a bit and hope the anemome moves back but as of right now my anemome is to close and it is growing quickly. Also the 2 hosting clowns keep trying to move the clam since it is to close for them but it is so well attached that won't happen.
God why do I have to deal with this just after I get it to settle in and be happy.

Thanks
Renzema

robthorn
11/25/2003, 08:06 AM
if the clam is wide open the bta is not bothering it. unless it shades the clam it should be fine. I have always read corals and anemones don't bother clams.

Renzema
11/25/2003, 09:23 AM
But I'm worried it will get to close and touch the clam and sting it. Do I not have to worry about that?

Thanks
Renzema

robthorn
11/25/2003, 02:52 PM
I have read they won't sting the clam. I wouldn't worry unless you see it stay pulled in in the area of the bta

Renzema
11/25/2003, 02:55 PM
Okay thanx for the help, does anyone else know if the anenome will sting the clam? I just don't want my new pride a joy hurt.

Thanks
Renzema

sahin
11/25/2003, 05:23 PM
Not sure if it will get stung, I dont think so. BUT if you do want to move it this is what you need to do:

Take a knife (eg surgical knife or equivalent) with a sharpe blade and cut the threads underneath the clam thats holding the clam to the rock. Be VERY CAREFUL not to cut the clams foot. You need to cut it when the clam is fully open and not trying to squeeze shut and hold onto the rock firmly. DO NOT pull the clam to get the knife underneath it. You will KILL it by ripping its byssal glad.

NOTE THAT THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION, IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO DONT ATTEMPT IT. BE WARNED I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER YOU DO TO YOUR CLAM.

Having said all that, I removed clams in this way many times without any problems. The clams in my case re-attahced within a day or two in thier new location.

Renzema
11/25/2003, 05:37 PM
I think I will leave it tell something arrises. I won't be easy to get to the byssal gland. since it attached it's self to all the surrounding rocks, about 6 of them. Then pulled itself into a hole. It's good at protecting itself. I just hope the anenome doesn't hurt it.
I could always get the anenome to move by pointing a power head at it or taking away the light in that area.

Thanks
Renzema