PDA

View Full Version : December 2003 Tank of the month

stilmas
12/06/2003, 09:44 PM
Holy Sh*t!
That is amazing. You must be a millionaire to have been able to aford this setup. More power to ya! It looks truely amazing, nice F'ing job!

shelley&john
12/06/2003, 10:26 PM
Absolutely beautiful!! I can only dream to some day have a tank that looks like that! Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Krabs
12/06/2003, 11:19 PM
I would say wow, but that would reqire my gathering my jaw from the floor. Stunning.

Your plumbing work for the circulation is fantastic. Creating wave effects and surging without a surge tank is something else, nice. Nice touch also on the never closed valves. Really well thought out.

Only thing I could think of, would be to pull your backup Ebo heaters and put in titaniums. Read too many cracked glass heater horror stories.

Again, amazing.

I hope to have a similar setup someday.

Krabs

TheMandarinFish
12/07/2003, 12:20 AM
Mike, your k'ung-fu is greater than mine.

Not a bad tank.

Feeling like an amateur guitar player walking into a club to see someone he hasn't heard of before, and it turns out to be Jimi Hendrix.

The tile. Oh my God. The plumbing. The custom everything.

I'll excuse you while you kiss the sky.

inwall75
12/07/2003, 10:21 AM
I absolutely love your tank---amazing!!!. You deserve this honor. I have learned a lot from you and greatly appreciate your posts.

Keep up the good work.

Curt

Clyde
12/07/2003, 10:49 PM
question regarding mangroves

what do you do ? (ie: mounting or placement, substrate, lighting etc)

how long have you had em?

as I just added 20 of em to my 200-250 gallon system (depending how many gallons the sump is holding.. heh)

some of em are not doing so good, maybe they're getting acclimated, or something

any tips are welcome.

finding nemo
12/08/2003, 03:25 AM
By far the most beautiful tank of the month I have seen. Inside and out. Love the outside work on it, the tile mural is a fantastic Idea. Congratulations to you. Its well deserved

ReefDiver
12/08/2003, 10:44 AM
Mike:

Truly Amazing is all that I can say! Can't add much to all of the acalades above!

The system set up is the very best that I have ever seen, and I've seen many. I'm talking visual esthetics and behind the scenes! Fantastic, to say the least.

I can't even imagine what your electric bills must be to run a system like this??

Loved your web site as well and thanks for sharing your expertise! Where are you located? If I am ever out your way, I would love to visit you and see this awesome system first hand.

Mucho Kudo's and as noted above, you surely deserve this honor!

Happy Holidays to you & your's!

Steve

CJerome21
12/08/2003, 11:20 AM
Your tank looks great, it seems like you have though of everything. I like the valves that close in a power failure to prevent water drainage to the sump. What type of power back up system do you have in place?

C. Jerome

Mojoreef
12/08/2003, 05:35 PM
Wow..sorry folks I didnt even realize this thread was going. Thank you for the kind words folks, I really appreciate. Not a millionaire here just been in it to long and I'm a pack rat for equipment so it was time to put it all together in one tank, lol

Clyde I got the mangroves kinda by surprise, so I just stabbed them into about 2 inches of san in a seperate tank. To be honest I completely forgot I had them until they grew tall enough where i could see them. For lighting they get some incidental from the tank about 6 feet away but nothing more. I took a look for ya and thier are a few that didnt make it to the water level and I tossed them.

Steve thanks again for the kind words, and the door is always open for a reefer. I am in Seattle Washington. happy holidays to yours to.

CJerome21 I have the Grand coolly dam...lol just joking I have a generator on the tank.

take care all
mike

stilmas
12/09/2003, 12:43 AM
"Not a millionaire here just been in it to long and I'm a pack rat for equipment so it was time to put it all together in one tank, lol"

I was just kidding. I've never seen anything that elaborate in a house before...Really nice job. Happy holidays as well. Make sure all your tank mates get something nice for Christmas, I'm sure us folks at RC would be more than glad to pitch in to have a hand in that! lol

Will
12/09/2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by stilmas
Holy Sh*t!

No kidding!!!! :eek: :eek2:
-Will

Scopaeniform
12/09/2003, 02:24 PM
The last time I saw a that was anywhere near that cool was at the Aquarium of the Pacific...and I had to pay for admission.

gumbybc
12/09/2003, 03:56 PM
as far as the mangroves go: how deep is the water in the tank?

Racenrich
12/09/2003, 03:57 PM
Thumbs up on the 650g. That is one impressive tank!
I do have a question:
Attached to this filter is a permeate pump, which allows up to 85% of the wastewater to be saved by recycling pressurized wastewater back through the reverse osmosis membrane

Can you give me guidence in how i can set this up for my RO/DI system.

Any inof would be great, thanks.

Rich K.

Scooterman67
12/09/2003, 04:00 PM
Mike, I think you need to convince your wife that you need to convert it into a sump for your next project!
:D

I've gained all my experience from this guy, he just don't know it!:smokin:

Crusty Old Shellback
12/09/2003, 04:22 PM
Mike,
great to see you made TOTM. I followed your thead as you built the tank and learned a lot from it. My wife saw the TOTM pic the other day and now she wants one in our house when we can find the time/money to do it.:D Thanks for sharing your experiences of building it. It's easy to tell that you put a lot of thought into it. Good luck with your tank and keep us posted on it's progress as it matures more.

Mojoreef
12/09/2003, 07:43 PM
You guys are to kind.
and I had to pay for admission
Boy I wish, lol

gumbybc the tank they are in I would say the water is about 6 to 8 inches deep.

Rich K. the permeate pump install changes based on which type of unit you have and also can be done different ways. I would suggest getting the dealer you get the pump from, walk you through it. I made them send me a schematic for it, I Looked for it for you but cant find it. Let me go back thier and I will try to see how it is exactly configured on my system, give me a day.

Scooterman I believe the words from my wife were we are going to bury you in that damm thing, lol. Have always loved our conversations. take care.

blown63chevy thanks, good luck on the project my friend, my only advise is to try to have all your ducks in a row prior to starting and ask tons of questions.

take care all

Mike

pfizeriser
12/09/2003, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the unbelievable beauty. Now I can tell my wife that there is a guy out there who spent more time and money in his tank than I have.

Randy

fish_taste_good
12/10/2003, 12:30 PM
:eek2: - amazing.

I need to consult you for when I build a house.

Masterful.

chewie
12/10/2003, 12:45 PM
Congrats Mike! You deserve this!

I don't see any caulerpa in the main tank. Did the vlamingi wipe it all out?

I was hoping to see a pic of "evil kneivel" doing the fish cannonball! I will never forget that!

You are one dedicated dude!

Mojoreef
12/10/2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks folks.
Yep Chewie after a 4 year battle with razor calurpa the vlamingii wiped it ALL out in two day...God I love that fish, lol
Evil is still up and doing his dare devil tricks. That fish just has the need for speed, hehehe

mike

pk1
12/11/2003, 11:40 AM
Mike, congrats! Your tank is stunning, I wonder if you had more fun building it than you have watching it!?!?! ;) A well deserved recognition for a real class act in this obsession of ours!!

Patrick Kelly

tesfeld
12/11/2003, 03:18 PM
Fantastic tank! I've been doing some research on the Permeate Pump that you mention and would LOVE it if you could post in regards to this thread.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145955&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Mojoreef
12/11/2003, 09:35 PM
Pat you know me bud, the building was a real fun ride. If I remember you were in thier helping to.

Tes I will take a peek.

Mike

Mojoreef
12/11/2003, 09:51 PM
Tes the permeate pump just recycles the brine water back through the ro membrane over again instead of dumping it right away. So the water is used twice to 3 times. If you have bad water to begin with this might result i having to change the ro quicker, but from what I have witnessed in using it for about 3 years is that the ro membrane isnt taking a large hit from my tap water. My end product is 0 tds and I get about a 1 to 1 ratio on waste to finished product.

Mike

jmurg
12/12/2003, 06:44 AM
Hello Mike,
As all the others have said, an amazing tank and setup. Would you happen know of any links/resources that I could look at to help design a good closed loop system, I am planning to have a new tank drilled and am not sure of some of the design considerations you need think about when setting up such a system.

thanks in advance,
Jmurg

Mojoreef
12/12/2003, 11:35 AM
Jmurg here is a drawing of mine, now mine has a Motorized ball valve on it but just delete that part and it should be good for you.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/508/4clback-med.JPG
cutview, mine goes through an overflow but your could just go through the back wall.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/500/4closed_loop_return-med.JPG
and here is as it looks
http://mojoreefs.homestead.com/files/closedloop.JPG
http://mojoreefs.homestead.com/files/newsite/closedloop.jpg

mike

howman
12/18/2003, 02:15 PM
Your system is remarkable.
Truly unbelievable.
It appears you use the most up to date technology and equipment to the optimum.

I wish your system the best of luck as you deserve all the reward you can get from this hobby as you certainly have made a lifetime of effort.

Howard