PDA

View Full Version : Tunze streams on a wavemaker?

MDLR1
12/08/2003, 01:57 PM
Are there any wavemakers out there i.e Red Sea Wavemaster pro, Reeffanatic Wave creator That are compatible with the tunze stream pumps and wont cause any damage? The streams are the 6060 pumps that dont have speed contol functions.

rvitko
12/08/2003, 02:01 PM
No, you can only use a timer set with a one hour on/off interval at the shortest. Wavemakers will damage the pumps and void the warranty.

MDLR1
12/08/2003, 02:22 PM
is it possible to use a wavemaker that does not completly shut the pumps off but regulates the amount of electricity going to them to adjust their speeds?

rvitko
12/08/2003, 02:37 PM
There is no such animal. Voltage does not control speed. I know this for a fact. That is why the so called soft start is BS. Pump speed is controlled by Hz. A 60Hz pump runs at one speed 3600rpm. The pump either has enough voltage to run or it doesn't. For a 6060 that is 97V. Once started it will cut off below 82V. We test all these parameters to be sure they can run and restart in poor conditions and brown outs. The reason you cannot run a wavemaker is simple, the pump has to spin in only one direction, to do this we had to use a clutch mechanism. The same as if you shifted gears in your car every minute or so you would ruin your clutch, this is what happens to the pump. Once the clutch is gone the prop won't spin, when the prop doesn't spin the pump will overheat, if left long enough in this condition, the thermal protection switch will break and that is the end of the pump. The Electronic pumps have a sophisticated computer control system that enables speed control and because the computer controls rotation and tracks the orbit of the magnet, the computer itself can correct a backwards rotation so the brakes are rarely called upon- enabling a more rapid cycling.

MDLR1
12/08/2003, 02:42 PM
ahhh very cool. Thank you for explaining it. I guess i gotta open teh wallet a little bigger

blgreef
12/09/2003, 07:20 AM
The Electronic pumps have a sophisticated computer control system that enables speed control and because the computer controls rotation and tracks the orbit of the magnet, the computer itself can correct a backwards rotation so the brakes are rarely called upon- enabling a more rapid cycling.

Does this mean that the 6000 and 6100 can be used on a timer and switched more then once per hour?

I have 4 6100 on a 7094 and want to use a fifth to switch on now and again to generate a random current but i am concerned about its duty cycle etc.

rvitko
12/09/2003, 09:49 AM
I will ask. I don't know the answer definitively. Part of the multicontrollers start up is to give 10% power for a half second or so and gently get it spinning. I think this makes a difference.