PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed, no sense of customer value

mckeec
12/11/2003, 12:12 PM
I purchased a water pump a bit over a month ago from Marine Depot. It has only been running for a couple weeks and has a leak. They are not willing to make an exchange because my purchase is more than thirty days old. I understand the need for policies, but I also understand the value of customer satisfaction. As a result of my dissatisfaction in their flexability I will do no more bussiness with them. They offerred to sell me another pump! I will buy a new pump and much, much more. But, I will do no more bussiness with Marine Depot:mad2:

mckeec
12/11/2003, 12:18 PM
Oops, angry typing=poor spelling, sorry

HolyBanana
12/11/2003, 12:27 PM
mckeep,
I can understand your frustration. But think about it. Who's fault is it really? Not to point any fingers, but I believe its yours. You had 30 days to set it up and test it. I don't mean to burst your bubble but anyone who has a policy like that will reject your request. I hope you didn't lose a lot of money over this, but you cannot make the merchant accountable for your actions. Take accountability for your own.
Now, if they where rude about it, thats a different story.

mckeec
12/11/2003, 12:34 PM
No they were not rude at all and were somewhat understanding. My point is they would not have had to go out of their way to assure my continued business, but they would not budge. Therefore they have lost my business. The problem is my own fault. It would have made me a life long customer if they would have helped me out of a bind. Not their responsability but sure would have made a world of difference.

HolyBanana
12/11/2003, 01:04 PM
Yes, I agree it would have been nice to get that exchanged. But I'm sure you knew that your chances of that happening where slim. So why the fuss?
Anyway, at least you have a choice of merchants. The more to love this country. Best of luck with your search of a new pump.

mckeec
12/11/2003, 01:07 PM
Because I can, God Bless America!

SoKaL ReeFiN
12/11/2003, 01:13 PM
I've looked at both sides of the issue and I'm blaming this one on.. the water pump manufacturer!

mckeec
12/11/2003, 01:19 PM
ABSOLUTELY , I had hoped the past $$$$ sales and future $$$ sales would have resulted in some support from Marine Depot. Nope, hung out to dry. It is their policy and I respect that. Just frustrated.

nickb
12/11/2003, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't there be a warranty on the pump? If so, it would surely be more than 30 days in length. Who would be responsible for handling warrranty claims?

mckeec
12/11/2003, 01:26 PM
The manufacture will replace the pump. I need to send it to them and once received they will send a replacement. I cannot go days to weeks without a pump so I will have to buy a new one to get this one replaced. Sucks, I loss.

Dakan
12/11/2003, 01:26 PM
Pump should have warranty.

drtherc
12/11/2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mckeec
No they were not rude at all and were somewhat understanding. My point is they would not have had to go out of their way to assure my continued business, but they would not budge. Therefore they have lost my business. The problem is my own fault. It would have made me a life long customer if they would have helped me out of a bind. Not their responsability but sure would have made a world of difference.

Not to say they shouldn't help you at all, but I disagree about your "assure my continued business" line. In this day and age, there's no loyalty anywhere. Most people could do business with a company for many years, then feel slighted once, and then the company loses their business anyway. No matter how they get coddled, pampered and paid attention to, the most recent transaction is the only one that counts. It's about "what have you done for me lately". It's true of employee/employer relations too. And it's true of society. In other words, YOU might have continued doing business if they bent their rules this time, but they have no way of knowing that, and no real incentive to go the extra mile.

Just as an example, I was into FO tanks for almost 10 years, and bought most of my stuff exclusively from one LFS. The manager and I are great friends, and we both started considering reefing at about the same time. Problem is, his store deals mostly in fish, and furry pets. Very little in there for the reefer. So now, basically because he got me to take the plunge to reefing, he gets little business from me now.

mckeec
12/11/2003, 01:52 PM
I agree with what you have said and this in part is my point. Most people will cut and run. I buy from my local merchants when they have what I need. I will pay more for an American made product or from my local vendor. I try to keep up my end of the relationship. Not many will or do. I am dissapointed that Marine Depot is just another business and I am just a number. I want to be more and try to offer more in return.

MarineDepot
12/11/2003, 02:27 PM
Hi Mckeec,

Different manufacturers have different policies regarding warranty service, which we need to follow to continue to be able to offer their products. I believe you spoke with Rainbow LifeGard as well and they mentioned to you what needs to be done for warranty service. We do what we can for our customers but also need to adhere to the polices set by each manufacturer.

Please give me a call at 714-385-0080 ext. 53 and I will give Rainbow LifeGard a call as well and see if we can make an exception and work something out for you. We appreciate the support from our customers and do try and bend the rule when possible; however, sometime our hands are tied.

Sincerely,
Joseph
Marine Depot Customer Service

mckeec
12/11/2003, 02:56 PM
I have just gotten off the phone with the folks at Marine Depot and I am pleased to report that they have come to my rescue. My replacement pump will arrive tomorrow. I am soooooo pleased to have received this level of service even if it took some whinning. They HAVE EARNED MY BUSINESS. :)

drtherc
12/11/2003, 03:03 PM
Great that you retracted. It's one thing to be a complainer, another to be a complainer when warranted, and a praiser when that's warranted. The day before Thanksgiving, after work, I was picking up stuff for the next day, and the girl at the register still had a smile on her face, and it was 7:00 that night. I took the opportunity to tell her how refreshing it was to see a smile after such a long day, and also made sure to tell her manager as well.

Good on ya, mckeec!

Rob Schwartz
12/13/2003, 04:50 PM
I somehwat disagree with the whole nobody is loyal these days. I believe that more and more customers are rewarding great guest service with increased loyalty. Some of which is based upon incentives of course i.e. Starwood hotels, etc.

Still, I have always said to my staff and the thousands of seasonal workers that I used to train every winter...

"Mistakes are bound to happen, it's how you recover that define you as an individual and company".

Kudo's to Marine Depot for fixing the problem ultimately, it's a shame to a certain extent though that the original help desk person was not empowered to help initially. Sadly, there are so many people who take advantage of great guest service with fraudulent issues that many companies have had to scale back their staff empowerment programs.

But if you want to look at loyalty, llok at Nordstrom's policies and customer return rates!

Happy it all worked out, and best regards,

Rob

friedenmeister
01/08/2004, 01:50 AM
i am with you mckees. marine depot should replace the pump by simply letting you send the old one in. just so that everybody knows, when a dealer replaces an item or takes an item back, the pretty standard policy is for them to damage it out and return it to a manufacturer. marine depot would most likely suffer absolutely no loss.

Kengar
01/09/2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by drtherc
The day before Thanksgiving, after work, I was picking up stuff for the next day, and the girl at the register still had a smile on her face, and it was 7:00 that night. I took the opportunity to tell her how refreshing it was to see a smile after such a long day, and also made sure to tell her manager as well.

Good on ya, mckeec!

You were just trying to get some, weren't you?!

(In all seriousness, though, when I see good service, I, too, make it a point to let management know!)

jscarb2
01/09/2004, 02:22 PM
i have to say i have bought alot from marine depot and marine depot live never had any problems with dry goods and everytime there has been a problem with the live department they have been great!always work with me to solve the problem!!!!as far as i am conserned i am a customer for life

cwschoon
01/09/2004, 02:27 PM
The stupid thing is-and I worked for a wholesaler and a mfg in this industry-is that the mfg. of the pump would have exchanged the pump or just given marine depot another one for free, no questions asked.