PDA

View Full Version : baby mantis?? pic needed

Khuye
12/30/2003, 05:08 PM
today while looking in my tank i saw what i believe to be a baby mantis. it was only 1/4" in length, that is with its tail curled under. i would like to know if anyone has any pictures of these 'lil guys when they are babies so i might positivly id him. also...i dont have any fish in the tank yet and dont plan to for a while(a couple of months), should i worry about him growing up and being a menace?

mantisshrimp
12/31/2003, 08:29 PM
I'm 99% sure it's a harmless amphipod-only one of many you have in your tank.

Gonodactylus
01/01/2004, 03:11 AM
Juvenile stomatopods look identical to adults, only smaller. A typical N. wennerae juvenile would be about a half inch to 3/4 inch long. It would take a couple of years for it to grow to two inches where it would start to be a problem.

Roy

Khuye
01/02/2004, 01:58 PM
thx much for the info

dmicro
01/02/2004, 02:06 PM
Take a look in my gallery, I have a pic of one there.

Freed
01/02/2004, 02:22 PM
dmicro, does your maroon clown live in the shroom or did it get eaten as you watched and took pics? Thanks, Freed

dmicro
01/02/2004, 02:29 PM
OK, that was a funny one... That pic was taken the day we got him and we've never had a clown go into a host for us so totally unexpected. My wife woke me in the middle of the night crying that the mushroom is eating the clown and just after taking that pic, she popped out and since then, she has made it her home (that is a daily scene for us now). I just hope that she sooner or later lets the other clown in.