PDA

View Full Version : Need clam ID. Please. THX...

kmu
12/30/2003, 11:17 PM
Hi there I just bought this clam from a friend, can some one ID it for me... Its about 2.5" long, looks blue from the side glass and green from the top glass...

THX in advance...

kmu
12/30/2003, 11:17 PM
another shot with PC blues on...

kmu
12/30/2003, 11:18 PM
last one...

THX in advance...

scchase
12/30/2003, 11:56 PM
Its a Crocea.
Scott

rmendis
12/31/2003, 12:02 AM
A very pretty crocea.

Edit: You probably know this, but it will require more than PC lighting.
(According to your current tank sig, you only have PC lights.)

kmu
12/31/2003, 12:03 AM
THX for the positive ID...

Will take a better pic tomorrow with my Nikon Coolpix because my sony camara suck at taking pictures...

kmu
12/31/2003, 12:07 AM
Yes I only have PC lighting on the tank for now a 2x55 PC fixture and a 20 watt NO actinic. I will however upgrade to a 4x75watt VHO fixture in about 2 months...

My tank is pretty stable and the lighting seems working for the rest of its inhabitants..

Take a look at the improvement of this bleached sebae anemone in only 2 months in my tank...

hwynboy
12/31/2003, 01:43 AM
I believe it is a Crocea as well...the smooth shell is a dead giveaway as they are rock boring clams and their scutes are worn by the rocking motion they use to get comfy in the rocks.

kmu
12/31/2003, 09:34 AM
THX guys for the information...

Right now I have it on the sand bed, but will gradually move it high in the rock structure so that it gets more light...

The clam has a rock attached to its base, is it normal? looks like it was glued or something like that, will it hurt the clam? is it normal?

THX in advance...

hwynboy
12/31/2003, 09:38 AM
that is a good sign...the rock attached to it is connected by his foot/byssal do not remove the rock from him as you can damage your clam and potentially kill it. Looks like he is good. Croceas prefer a lot more light than most clams. I do not think you have enough light in your system...get him as close to the top as possible. IMO clams thrive best under MH lighting.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0px49/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/116-1658_IMG.jpg

kmu
12/31/2003, 03:36 PM
hwynboy thx for the reply... is your clam laying sideways on the sandbed or its mantle is too extended?

THX again...

hwynboy
12/31/2003, 04:02 PM
he likes to turn about till he gets comfortable...Im tired of fighting with him...but now he sits uprght. Depends on the mood I guess. but for this picture I think I turned him for a better angle.

Rothie
12/31/2003, 10:39 PM
That is a beautiful Crocea.Most Maximas and Croceas will fade to a muddy brown under VHO.It takes a while,but it does happen.My first Crocea(bought 1 year ago)is almost totally brown.I bought 2 more in April,one faded a lot,the other didn't fade very much in 6 monthes. I bought 4 Max's in the middle of August that held their color for almost 4 months under VHO.I moved all my clams (except my Sqamossas and Deresa)to their own tank with Halide lighting 2 weeks ago.I'm am hoping the large Crocea regains some it's color.The Sqammosas and Deresa seem th thrive under the VHO's.

sambryce
01/01/2004, 01:47 PM
Rothie....How many watts of VHO are on your tank? I've got a squamosa that's been doing great on my sandbed for ~6 months under 440W of VHO and have considered trying a maxima high up the rock but wondered how it would do.

Rothie
01/01/2004, 05:19 PM
They were high up under 440W VHO and 110W pc actinic.

commandertekki
01/01/2004, 10:35 PM
Rothie.. I'm tagging in on this one because I'm interested in finding out your clams thrive under the new MH

My crocea is fading too under the VHO. My MH lighting system shoudl be shpped from PFO anytime soon.

Can't wait to compare. Too many people telling me VHO is good enough but my clam definitely is not teh same brilliance like it was when I first got it.

Gonna place them under dual 250W HQI Ushio's when the sytem comes home. With 2 96W blue power pc bulbs.

Rothie
01/01/2004, 10:54 PM
It's been about 2 weeks under 150W DE.I still have the light raised up high-9" off the water surface.The clams are 8-9"below the surface.The 2 Max's are responding really well,but the Crocea,although it is very healthy,actually appears to be bleaching.I don't know if I waited too long,or the pigment is damaged,or maybe it will take a long time to show any improvement.I moved the Crocea to a more shaded area.
Be sure to start them off low in the tank.That is great lighting your getting.Who is the manufacturer?

commandertekki
01/02/2004, 10:25 AM
I'm getting a completely new PFO set.

dual 250W HQI MH with the PFO HQI magnetic ballast. I already got the Ushio bulbs. I went overkill on the lighting because I plan to get a 175g in a couple of years.

But as you can imagine, I've already spent too much on this hobby. More so then skydiving itself when I think of it.