PDA

View Full Version : 2 mantis together?

ISFRAEL
07/16/2001, 11:06 PM
ive just got a call saying that they have another mantis for me if i want it.
problem is that ive only got one of the two mantis tanks up and running but it already has a mantis in it.
both mantis have been found in pieces of live rock the shop has bought and the mantis will cost me nothing.
the tank is 20"x14"x16 and full of liverock and hiding holes.
my question is will 2 1" mantis cause a problem together for 2 weeks maximum?

LgIslandreefers
07/16/2001, 11:16 PM
I did it for a month and didn't have any problem. As long as they have their own pieces of rock, they should do fine. Try to move the rocks around before introducing the new one.

ISFRAEL
07/16/2001, 11:21 PM
i only got the other one yesterday so he isnt territorial yet. i havent even seen him since i put him in but i know where he is. hopefully he will feed soon?
the other im pickng up tonight. they both came from the same batch of liverock and apparently look the same colour and size. hes free so im gonna get him and ive waited for 3 months just to get a new one so i aint missing out.
it seem like christmas

ISFRAEL
07/17/2001, 10:55 PM
how big where the 2 you had together?

moviegeek
07/19/2001, 06:56 PM
If I were you I would take the free mantis.

ISFRAEL
07/19/2001, 07:04 PM
hey mg

ive got them both in the same tank as we speak. they live about 3" apart in seperate burrows with no problems yet. both are settleing in and becoming bold and are feeding well.
ive got another one coming as soon as the local lfs owner can catch it.
the sand is working well and they dont seem to have any trouble burrowing it.
3 free mantis in 1 week! im a happy chappy!

moviegeek
07/19/2001, 07:58 PM
Great! Keep us posted on how keeping more than one of the small buggers together works out.

ISFRAEL
07/19/2001, 08:06 PM
they are only together cos ive only got the one tank ready but i might have to keep them together as i might have to put this newer larger one by himself.
3 in one tank might be pushing it a little?

ill let you know how they do mg?
so far so good! im hoping they dont get territorial as they get larger!