PDA

View Full Version : Right kind of Mantis

Mantisshrimp248
01/22/2004, 06:06 PM
I have a Eclipse System 12g that has about 1/4" acrylic.

I'm looking for the right type of Mantis. I was interested with a Peacock, but i found out that when they get really big they are capable of breaking my 1/4" acrylic. Although it would take alot to break it, i dont want to take the chance. I also don't really want a mantis so small i wont be able to see it often. Would that be an issue with my 12g tank?

I don't really care if its a smasher or spearer. To me both of them have their ups and downs.

Thx :eek1:

inwall75
01/22/2004, 07:53 PM
I have an O.s. in an 18 gallon acrylic tank. She's not full grown yet but I'm not all that worried. It might not be a bad idea to lay an extra layer of plexiglass on the bottom because in my tank that's mainly where she strikes while trying to dig her den deeper.

You can also take some pvc pipe and cap one end of it. They will usually like this homemade den and they will give up trying to extend the back of the den.

I certainly don't see why you couldn't keep a peacock in the type of tank you are describing. I've known people to keep them in small glass nano's and then upgrading only when the mantis gets bigger.

JMO

Mantisshrimp248
01/24/2004, 12:04 PM
How wud u add another layer of plexiglass?

Would u have to take every thing out of the tank and put it on the bottom IN the tank or shud u connect the sheet of plexiglass to the bottom OUTSIDE the tank with glue or sumthing?

inwall75
01/24/2004, 12:32 PM
IMO take everything out and just lay it in the bottom if you are that worried about it. Mine's acrylic is only 1/4 inch and I'm not really too worried at about it. Maybe I'll change my mind when she's 8 inches long.

IMO, if you have a tank that's set up and running go for it. Don't rip everything apart until the Peacock gets bigger.

BTW----I want to credit Roguecorps for the acrylic idea.

Mantisshrimp248
01/24/2004, 04:12 PM
I just got the manits and i realized i really dont need the extra layer. Its really beautiful and colorful. It lookks so harmless and playful, but i know what destruction it can inflict.

Thanks for the info.

inwall75
01/24/2004, 04:56 PM
Cool---Do the homemade den thing and then you can put rock over it so it will look like a cave. Give it a lot of extra rubble and dead snail shells so it can build the den to it's liking. They like to feel protected and safe. AND KEEP YOUR HAND OUT OF THE TANK UNLESS YOU ARE WEARING HEAVY GLOVES. BETTER YET, GET ONE OF THOSE FISH TANK GRABBERS.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

Mantisshrimp248
01/24/2004, 06:37 PM
Done and done

He found a cozy spot for himself and rearranged sum of the rubble. Theres a lot of rock rubble on the ground and theres a little cave for him to build off of

Mantisshrimp248
01/24/2004, 06:41 PM
O yeah...

I purchased fish tank tongs, so i dont have to put my hands in the water.