PDA

View Full Version : Neat looking Crab from Tamba Bay

BradM0138
01/24/2004, 01:41 PM
I thought this was a neat looking crab!
http://www.lunysworld.com/uploader/uploads/tambabaycrab.JPG

capdale
01/24/2004, 09:13 PM
Nice picture. I have lost several hitchhiker crabs that came on my first shipment of tbs rock to an octopus that also tagged along for the ride. I am completely new to saltwater, so was a little concerned about his longevity in my tank. But the rock arrived before Thanksgiving, and the octopus is still apparently doing fine. The only down side is he only comes out in the middle of the night so my kids never see him.

BradM0138
01/25/2004, 08:08 AM
That's cool that you had an octopus tag along! I think they only become a nusiance if they become upset and release their ink! Goodluck though! do you have a pic?

hdtran
01/25/2004, 03:42 PM
Porcelain crab! Excellent hitchhiker, filter feeding. Very cool when he fans the water with his fans (my kids think that he's practicing Karate...).

Octopuses (octopi?) are short-lived. The variety from the gulf is probably O. mercatoris, or perhaps O. joubini (dwarf or pygmy octopus). See www.tonmo.com for care and feeding details. I'm amazed he hasn't cleaned you out of crabs, shrimps, or hermits! Ours has disposed of a couple of the red emerald crabs, though now that he's fed regularly, he's not into hunting any more.

Let me add that the octopus got put into its own tank, because my reading had indicated that he (she? it?) was an incompatible tankmate.