PDA

View Full Version : New mantis

Mantisshrimp248
01/24/2004, 07:22 PM
I just purchased a 4" Peacock Mantis shrimp after many weeks of preparation. Right now he is in an Eclipse system 12 with about 2-3" of LS and 4-5 lbs of LR.

Immediently after i placed him in the tank he wandered around and settled behind the little structure i made out of 3 medium-sized rocks. He made a little hole and sort of blocked the opening of the cave with rubble. He surrounded his home with rubble and is still working. The only thing with him is a mushroom coral, which is growing rapidly and looking great. I'm gonna get sum plants though and add a couple more simple corals ( probably more mushrooms)

According to the fish store its a smasher, but i dont know if its a he or she.

Its a big guy and I'm currently feeding it frozen items like frozen shrimp. and shelled animals like snails and hermit crabs.
This is my Feeding schedule:

Frozen item (frozen shrimp, brine shrimp, krill) - Every other day

4-5 shelled animals (snails and hermit crabs) - weekly

A little treat (damsel, other kinds of shrimp, large crab) - Every so often

Is it ok and is there sumthing i cud add? Is it too much/less food?

:rollface: :D

Drew_P
01/25/2004, 12:01 AM
sounds fine.. cant think of anything to add to the mix..

Mantisshrimp248
01/25/2004, 10:42 AM
Wow...

He just made a mansion with all the rubble on the ground. Its huge /w 2 entrances. Luckily i moved the mushroom coral just in time. I'll send pics as soon as possible.

jjrock
01/26/2004, 11:04 PM
For some smashing, crowd pleasing entertainment, I strongly recommend tossing in the biggest coral banded shrimp you can get your hands on. The bigger, the better, since they are really no match for an OS.

Man, I have to post the videos of the battles I have been staging.

I've got live feed of my Mantis destroying a Coral Banded (as mentioned above) as well as him pulling a "Mike Tyson" on a freshwater Crayfish. Man, that was sweet! Jab, jab, poke ... smash!!

JJ.

Dazz
01/28/2004, 11:18 PM
You should feed them marine based foods only. The freshwater ones wont contain the same nutrients as marine.

brekurboy1
01/29/2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
You should feed them marine based foods only. The freshwater ones wont contain the same nutrients as marine.
and then lead to organ failure :(