PDA

View Full Version : new greenhouse planning

slipknottin
02/02/2004, 03:22 PM
Im currently working on setting up a coral farm, much like the one you used to own. Im working on the business plan and such, and figure now is a good time to figure out the inner workings of the greenhouse.

First off, im debating the actual type of greenhouse. I really like the different types http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/ make.

Ive narrowed it down to two different types. The http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/1104.html

and the http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/Natural_Ventilation.htm

The natural ventalation is a bit more expensive, but the interior has much more height, and it can be bought in widths of 30'. Im leaning towards getting the natural ventalation model because of the width, and im sure that ventalation will come in handy during the summer. Im going with the 8mm polycarbonate on either model to save heating costs during the winter. (couldnt imagine what it would cost this winter with temperatures in the negatives for weeks at a time. :eek2: )

Anyways, your greenhouse was 20x50 ft? correct? Was this size a decent size? Or would you have gone with the 72' long greenhouse? Im going to try to automate most of the operations, lighting, heat, water movement, calcium, and skimming, so I can focus most of my attention on the actual coral.

Now how did you have your greenhouse plumbed? Was each tank seperate and have its own skimmer? Or were the tanks grouped together, maybe 4 tanks in one system or so on.

What size was the air blower you were using? Im going to be using mostly air lifts, as you did, and am wondering what size models I should be considering, I was looking at the 1hp and 2 1/2hp models, but was wondering if I might need to go with the 3 1/2 or 5 hp.

Thats all the questions for now, Ill probably think of somemore in the future. And BTW, I really enjoyed your book, its helped out alot so far in the initial planning, and will most certainly help out alot more when its actually running.

Jim in santa barbara
02/02/2004, 03:26 PM
Tagging on this as i'm in planning (early) stages also.

Anthony Calfo
02/02/2004, 09:04 PM
Im currently working on setting up a coral farm, much like the one you used to own. Im working on the business plan and such, and figure now is a good time to figure out the inner workings of the greenhouse.

... great to hear my friend. And seeing that you are in Connecticut I can expect to see you in person at MACNA Bostoni this September to chat about this further with you in person, yes? :)

... As to the type of greenhouse, its a no-brainer. As described in my Book of Coral Propagation, if the GH you desire is intended to remain for the long term (over 5 years) and when extremes of clime are an issue, then ridge vents and hard glazing are a must like in the second link depicted/proffered:
http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.co...Ventilation.htm

Anyways, your greenhouse was 20x50 ft? correct? Was this size a decent size? Or would you have gone with the 72' long greenhouse? Im going to try to automate most of the operations, lighting, heat, water movement, calcium, and skimming, so I can focus most of my attention on the actual coral.

... correct on the size, and I feel that it was more than enough to support me. I know that you can easily generate 40-60K avg from it in the 3-5 year plan, and over 100K after 5 years. Voice of experience here :) For perspective, I'm 33 years old and driving my second pimp mobile :p (Lincoln Town car :D) Hey... what can I say: I live in a steel town, and we love big cars. ha!

Now how did you have your greenhouse plumbed? Was each tank seperate and have its own skimmer? Or were the tanks grouped together, maybe 4 tanks in one system or so on.

... heavens no! Fundamentals of animals husbandry - the tanks were/must be seperate for disease control and optimal growth. You cannot succeed by growing unnatural and competitive organisms in the same system. Yikes! If it were not true, farmers would need only one penned acre to house chickens, piggies, cows and sheep altogether :p

What size was the air blower you were using? Im going to be using mostly air lifts, as you did, and am wondering what size models I should be considering, I was looking at the 1hp and 2 1/2hp models, but was wondering if I might need to go with the 3 1/2 or 5 hp.

... you must figure out your ultimate mazimum needs (X tanks and X airlines per tank ) and then round up slightly higher. Note the mfg specs for any given blower that states X number of outlets at X inches of water depth, etc.

I'm very excite for you in this endeavor my friend! The dreaming and planning in some ways are the sweetest part.

Please feel welcome to continue to call on me here for shared opinions and to share yours/others growth/success in the process.

best regards,

Anthony

slipknottin
02/02/2004, 09:41 PM
Yea Ill try to make it to the MACNA XVI. Ill be the youngest coral propagator there. Only 20 years old. :o

I suppose the question about connecting the tanks was due to this 'mess' at tropicorium. http://www.tropicorium.com/p50.jpg

;)

And BTW- " I know that you can easily generate 40-60K avg from it in the 3-5 year plan, and over 100K after 5 years."

100K in 5 years? 20K a year average? Is that net profit?

Reeftropicals
02/06/2004, 01:11 PM
I think what Anthony meant to say is that after 5 years you can expect to make 100K per year. I assume that's before taxes and expenses.

Anthony Calfo
02/06/2004, 01:36 PM
Alex/Reeftropicals is correct... I meant over 100K per year (gross). Your net will depend largely on your ability to run a tight ship, so to speak. Finessing and optimizing use of resources, improving husbandry to reduce morbidity and mortality, improving rates of growth/harvest, etc.

In a nut shell, though, you should still be able to carve out (net) $50-60K per year if you are even reasonably efficient.

Hope to see you and many others do so!

To a self-sustaining industry... :)

Anthony

slipknottin
02/06/2004, 02:42 PM
100K a year? Thats good money for getting to play in water. :eek2: :lol:

Treeman
02/09/2004, 11:12 PM
I don't mean to highjack your thread, but this is also a concern with greenhouse planning.

Hey Anthony, :) I hope to see you in Boston and Chicago. We can have a few beers.

Now on to it. Rocky, myself and a few others were discussing geothermal. And it was discussed that rather than pump saltwater underground that I should use a heat exchanger. Is there a rule of thumb for the amount of underground system compared to above ground? Also what type of exchanger would you use? I thought about using lake water for some of the geothermal but thought it might fluctuate more than the ground temp. Maybe on very hot days I could top off with cold lake water.(cold is relative in South FL) :D

I have a small system now like we talked about in Orlando. I am purchasing 2 acres now to start my new greenhouses. The first one will be 30' x 72' with 4 seperate systems.

Anthony Calfo
02/10/2004, 12:29 AM
Good question Matt... but its one best left for the heating/cooling engineers/experts. The dynamic is so complex and does not bear any possible rule of thumb with regard for the variable range of humidity, temperatures, etc of the nation's mean against a regional actual values.

Let the experts selling you the products factor your specs/locale into their calculators and then perhaps follow up with any references they can give you (other applications or the data sources for their conclusions).

You might also look into consulting an industrial heating/cooling expert. We have a fantastic chap here occasionally on RC by the name of Ralph Gibson that fits this bill. An amazing fellow.

Kudos on your progress BTW!

And looking forward to seeing y'all again at MACNA/IMAC :)

kindly,

Anthony