PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Salt?

mhurley
02/07/2004, 03:23 PM
Do you guys have any plans on carrying Oceanic salt?
Any ideas on price?
I'd love to order about 600 gallons worth but cannot find any LFS or on-line store that has it yet!
The numbers coming out of the samples are pretty impressive (460+ Ca, 8 dKH, 1325 Mg).

Thanks,
Mike

jasonfrey
02/08/2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes, we will be carrying this salt, i actually was suppose to get it wednesday, but already has manufacture backorder. Hopefully will be in this week. I have not seen final prices, but if they do not raise the original estimate, the prices will be this:
OCEANIC NATURAL SEA SALT MIX 50 GAL MIX $14.95
OCEANIC NATURAL SEA SALT MIX 200 GAL MIX

i'm pretty sure the 50 gal will be a jug, like what anti-freeze comes in and the 200 gallon probably a bucket, but i haven't actually seen this in person yet.

thanks

cb747
02/08/2004, 09:47 AM
Just a little FYI -- the 200 gallon is a bucket! I got one yesterday :) Paid 38.88 plus NY states share LOL

mhurley
02/08/2004, 12:59 PM
Jason,

What's the price on the 200 gallon bucket? That was left blank in your cut and paste.

Mike

jasonfrey
02/08/2004, 05:56 PM
Sorry about that, it's 39.95. I imagine this will go on sale from time to time too, and that is when we will buy it heavy so we can sell for less.

MikeD
02/08/2004, 07:02 PM
What are shipping charges like from you guys? I remember people talking about IO salt from petco/petsmart costing just as much to ship with "funny shape charges".

What is the average UPS Ground charge?
Mike

mhurley
02/08/2004, 07:33 PM
Miked,

It's standard UPS rates, I forget what exactly, but the bonus is for us, UPS Ground from Indy is almost always overnight delivery :)

Mike

mhurley
02/08/2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks Jason...I'll be patiently waiting for it to pop up on your site.

Mike

jasonfrey
02/08/2004, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Anyone wanting shipping quotes, just email me at sales@premiumaquatics.com with the size you want and zip code, that's the fastest way for me to figure and get back to you.

thanks

mhurley
02/10/2004, 06:40 AM
Are you really sold out of this stuff already or is that just a place holder on your site for them?

Mike

jasonfrey
02/10/2004, 09:51 AM
Should hopefully have salt the 18th. We went ahead and put it online while we created the RedSea salt products that we have now.

xfactor
02/13/2004, 05:00 PM
or you can just goto there site get there zip code goto UPS.com and do a query on shipping code and delivery time,

when you put in pickup type, I am assuming they have daily pickup(its a little cheeper)

scrummyotool
02/15/2004, 07:31 AM
spend the extra money go with aqua craft marine enviroment
the old saying is always true you get what you pay for.the price people pay for equip.,accs. only to skimp on salt its like buy a porchse and asking for good cheap tires!!it only cost a few more $$ to go first class

mhurley
02/15/2004, 07:56 AM
scrummyotool,

What are you basing that statement on? This salt is brand new and the few people that have picked it up (including myself) have run tests on it that have shown very strong in calcium and extremely quick dissolving. Have you seen some objective testing comparing Oceanic to Marine Environment?

Mike

scrummyotool
02/15/2004, 08:39 AM
go to www.aquacraft.com read s-15 report synthetic salt vs. sea salt ive used instant ocean,reef crystals,red sea,tropic marin
i know people buy on $ and fancy packaging the info woud be of course salt mix will not compensate for bad water.other factors all trace elements dissolve rate,impurities,heavy metals,inconsistant batches and false claims imo the lower priced salts are just that you can get steak at ponderosa but its much better at mortons im just saying you get what you pay for if any thing you should read this report ive changed my salt for red sea to marine enviroment wish i would have sooner ive seen testing on marine enviroment compared to 15 other salts check it out i hope to better the hobby with passing on this info

scrummyotool
02/15/2004, 08:54 AM
im sorry www.aquacraft.net is the site

mhurley
02/15/2004, 11:28 AM
I (and many others) have seen and read that report and it is suspect. Do some research on here and you'll find that the "winners" of that study actually funded the testing. Interesting huh? Have you ever seen that report published anwhere except at Aquacraft? Plus the fact that at this point, I believe that study is 10 years old.

The truth of the matter is that no single independant study has ever been completed on salt mixes. That's what Reefs.org has been trying to put together for over a year and been so challenged with due to the high costs of the testing.

And I disagree with you that people buy on packaging and $. Many inexperienced reefers do, but the experienced reefers here base their decision on research and fellow hobbyist experience.
The salt I but comes in a cardboard box...hardly fancy packaging. :)

Mike

xfactor
02/15/2004, 02:38 PM
I can't find the S-15 report on those pages, only some issues that mention it.

its true you get what you pay for, but you can be a fool as well.

steveweast
02/15/2004, 07:12 PM
Scrummytool... I've used the aquacraft product in the past and was not impressed. It had a low Ca reading (380ppm) and a really low Mg reading (900ppm) with acceptable alk and pH values on my Sailfert test kits. Is it still testing this low? These values are of importance if you want to keep a reef with lots of stonies... if it's a fish only system, then the aqucraft will do just fine. What is making the Oceanic salt of interest to SPS reefkeepers is the high Ca (480) and high Mg (1400) levels with acceptable alk and pH.... not too many salts on the market can yield these values.

whirley
02/16/2004, 12:53 AM
Mike, sent you PM. Just wondering if I could tagg along and also order some stuff in your order. A pump, bulkhead and a bucket of salt....as well!

whirley

mhurley
02/16/2004, 08:02 AM
whirley,

Your PM box is full, tried to send you a reply.

Mike

xfactor
02/16/2004, 08:04 AM
mhurley what all DIY's have you tried?

mhurley
02/16/2004, 08:12 AM
lololol....jeez...I forgot that was on there. That's really from my days of the 120 gallon tank...I DIY'd a hood, calcium reactor, skimmer mods...Anything to save money.
Recently I made my own acrylic refugiums...but that's about it. Stuff is too big now for me to try and build it myself.

Mike

xfactor
02/16/2004, 08:13 AM
ah :P this will be my last post on this, don't want to try to gank the thread, but I am going to either build me a 100 gallon sump/refug or get a big rubbermaid tub, I don't know how much the tubs cost, going to home depot today to see.

mhurley
02/16/2004, 08:16 AM
Depends on your HD....I use the 100 gallon Freeland Stock Tank, same as a Rubbermaid stock tank. I got mine at Farm and Fleet for $80. Couldn't find them at HD...Maybe different in your neck of the woods.

Mike

xfactor
02/16/2004, 11:48 AM
Ah ok, 80$ isn't bad, I could just build a refuge right in to that.

mhurley
02/17/2004, 10:21 AM
Yep, you can, I've seen it done. You take plexi/acrylic panels and silicone them in and create chambers. The neatest one I've seen created a multi level deal. The stock tanks have a middle lip to them as the tub flares outward as it goes up. I've seen someone mount a tray on that middle lip and create a refugium in there. Let's see if this diagram works below...You add a sheet (dotted line) across that middle lip....Make sense?

|_..........._|
. |______|

xfactor
02/17/2004, 10:37 AM
yep, that way the water doesn't gush down into the sand, live rock, instead it trickles over the sheet with all the holes in it, or if its full, the flow doesn't hit it full force but cause the holes are there there is still movement under the sheet.

Dag
02/18/2004, 11:19 PM
Steveweast,

What salt do you currently use?

steveweast
02/19/2004, 09:50 AM
I currently use Kent...but, I have been looking to change since I get an algae bloom with every water change.

indycop2038
02/24/2004, 07:29 PM
i would look at trying red sea, or oceanic.....i have heard great thing about both, i plan on trying both

jasonfrey
03/03/2004, 09:54 AM
Oceanic Salt is finally instock!

mhurley
03/03/2004, 10:49 AM
Jason,

I'm ordering 4x200 right now.