PDA

View Full Version : Clams from the seafood market

MDP
02/09/2004, 12:48 AM
Before any of you think this is an odd topic, I should just say that I live in Japan. I am off on holiday to Okinawa next week. In central Naha, there is a avery large fish market (table, not aquarium). At the market, there are lots of shops that sell live farmed Tridacna Crocea. I have one in my tank that I bought on a trip last year.

My plans are to colect them from the market, bag them and put O2 in the bag. The flight back to Tokyo takes about 2 and a half hours. They should be back in my Qt tank 6 hours or so after buying them. The QT is a ten gallon o/flow linked to another 10 gallon with all the eqpt in. Lighting will be from a 250W M/h 1200k.

My question is this, I plan on buying 5 or 6 clams duing my visit this time, how best to care for them after what is obviously a traumatic experience. How to give them the best chance of survival.

Any input greatly appreciated (btw these clams are about 2 dollars each, not amazingly brightly coloured, but some nice golds, blue/green spots etc).

Thanks

Matt

MDP
02/09/2004, 12:54 AM
Any advice from LFS owners/importers etc on acclimating new shipments of clams would be most appreciated.

I am not sure whether I will succeed or not, but feel I should have a go. They are only going to end up on the table in any case. My tanks is, I think, infinitely more preferable.

Thanks

Matt;)

gregmoeck
02/09/2004, 01:42 AM
Hi matt. MY wife is Japanese, We go to Tokyo but never to Okinawa. We plan to go to Okinawa next summer. I cant wait because I hear the coral and fish are the best.

MDP
02/09/2004, 01:55 AM
Hi Gregmoeck.

You will love Okinawa. Reefs off the main island are a little disappointing until you get some way away from tourist spots. Miyakojima and Ishigakijima are however great.

Best thing for us is going rockpooling with he kids, blue legged hermits, anemones, corals, blue linkia starfish, Okinawa gobies (what else), mantis, damsels and so on. Sure beats rockpooling back in chilly old England.

If you want any info on where to go (this is our 8th trip) please drop me a line c/o here. Similarly if you want info on reef shops to visit in the Tokyo area just let me know.

If you like clams, make sure you go down to the Kousetsuichiba in Naha, Okinawa, have a look at the tanks of Tridacna clams destined for the restaurant trade, you will be itching to take some back.

Any advice on my planned purchases?

Regards

Matt

MDP
02/09/2004, 06:57 AM
is there anyone out there who can offer advice on this subject?

Any advice greatfully received.

Matt

gregmoeck
02/09/2004, 01:02 PM
would there be any customs problems for you. I know it's the same country but.. Also, what type of prices do they have on the clams? 6 hours is not a long time if bagged properly with o2.

I went to a nice reef store in Yokohama last summer. It was really nice. I wish I could remember the name. My wife's town is Tokorozawa.

Are you an Expat working in Japan?

MDP
02/09/2004, 04:07 PM
Yup. I am British and work in Tokyo. I am here until 2007.

The clams are about a 1-2 USD each, they are all kept in large tanks in running water, they have to be fresh, they are for the lie seafood market.

No problem with customs as it is in country. Of course there are certain plants you cannot bring from Okinawa, but Clams are OK as they would not survive in the waters around Tokyo. (not warm enough year round).

Did that shop you went to have a lot of clownfish? Route-one is in Yokohama, the owner is mad about breeding clownfish usually has a good selection of rare varieties. Alternatively it might have been Namamugi (not been there yet).

Matt

James Yeung
02/10/2004, 01:14 AM
MDP: Would you happen to have pictures of these Croceas in the tanks destined to be on someone's dinner table? Or the ones you picked up?

Man, it would be hard for me to eat any of my Croceas. At $30-150CDN a piece, I will pass on it. LOL!

Thanks,

James

Sloth
02/10/2004, 10:06 AM
Hey if they die during transport, at least you brough home dinner.

Bayliner
02/10/2004, 10:49 AM
James, I'm with you on that one.... Can you imagine something we care for so much being just a commodity food item?
So how do you suppose they serve them up at the dinner table anyway?

Cam

MDP
02/10/2004, 03:38 PM
James.

I will get some pics next week.

Cam

Yup thats exactly what clams are to a lot of people in the Pacific, a traditional food item. Along with large angels, tangs etc. Your favourite pet can be someone elses entree. lol.

BTW, I tried one in a restaurant in Okinawa on an earlier visit. Eurgghhh. I love sashimi and sushi,but the crocea was , shal we say, not really a memorable experience.

Matt

Sloth
02/10/2004, 03:41 PM
Was it different than other types of clam? Like clam in clam chowder or fried clam strips, or scallops. Mmmmm. scallops.
:p

James Yeung
02/10/2004, 04:08 PM
Matt: Glad to hear you'll post some pics in the future! Definately an interesting topic for most members here.

Cam: I have no clue how to serve these clams! Maybe it's steamed or boiled with/without black bean sauce. Well, that's how I would eat 'normal' clams.

Now that we're talking about eating clams, I just want to add that Campbell's Chunky clam chowder is pretty good soup in a can! :-)

James

MDP
02/10/2004, 04:55 PM
Crocea (shakogai in Japanese) are served as they are, a la oyster.

They are a little crunchy.

Matt

mps9506
02/11/2004, 11:08 AM
Would you mind PM'ing me or posting a list of Tokyo area shops.
I'm a first generation Japanese American, and will be going back to Tokyo in April for the first time in 15 years.
BTW, my old boss used to prepare giant clam for me once in a while, served cold, sliced and raw with cold sliced cucumbers and lemon juice sprinkled over it. It was very good, not much flavor, but went perfect with the cucumbers and lemon juice.

Mike

MDP
02/11/2004, 03:34 PM
Hi MPS 9506

No problem at all. Do you want reef shops of shops that sell trops as well (the better reef shops are marine only). Do you want them for all over or just in central Tokyo?

Matt

firechild
02/12/2004, 02:38 AM
I have never eaten crocea but I did eat byssal tissue from a very large T. gigas while I was on Orpheus Island, GBR last year. It tastes more or less like squid, very nice bbqed.

James Yeung
02/12/2004, 03:05 AM
I think the only thing I've eaten that should just as well be in a salt water tank is the Miniatus (sp?) Grouper. Definately, very yummy. I see them in Chinese fish markets all the time!

Oh, and when I was a little kid, my mom would sometimes buy dried sea horses at the Chinese medicine shop for soup whenever I get a really bad case of sore throat. I just drink the soup - not eat the sea horse. The taste is very unique and I like it too. LOL!!! Yeah, I know... Poor sea horses and one reason why the population is down so much.

These medicine shops sell crazy things. Basically, anything can be medicine (aka placebo!). But who knows, can't really argue with thousands of years of triditional Chinese medicine. The most rediculous excuse for medicine I saw was dried cow poo (I think it's out of style now - I haven't seen it around in decades - hahha). I think it's prepared in soup form and it's suppose to help reduce high fever. Okay, sorry for going way off topic. HAHA...

James

mps9506
02/20/2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MDP
Hi MPS 9506

No problem at all. Do you want reef shops of shops that sell trops as well (the better reef shops are marine only). Do you want them for all over or just in central Tokyo?

Matt

I'd prefer the marine only. However, I wouldn't mind seeing some general tropical fish shops. I run a satore here and am always interested in seeing how other places are setup and run. I steal ideas from most o the stores I visit :D
I'll be there for a week, and will have plenty of time to waste.
Appreciate it
Mike