PDA

View Full Version : Donor: Long Tentacle Xenia

luvabunny
02/09/2004, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure how this secondary donor thing is supposed to work, but the long tentacle pulsing xenia I got from Dale has spread itself over to a new rock, so now I have the original rock Dale gave me back up for grabs. Problem is, I don't know who was next on the list to get any, and I don't know who was supposed to be keeping track of it.
Anyway, I am ready to donate this particular frag back to the group at the next meeting.

rbb213
02/09/2004, 07:36 AM
I think, Paul, wanted every one to use the old theads, but it should not matter as long as it has theme as the original theads were in the past.

Make sure you put how to care for it, as well as, the things you did to care for it. To include your water para's and such..then tell them to sign upand how many frags of it that you have available.....lol

If you have a picture of it and would like to post it, email it to me rbb213@lcisp.com

HTH
Rocky

luvabunny
02/09/2004, 08:04 AM
I actually got a very large piece from Dale, which I split into 2 pieces, and put one in both tanks. This piece is from my seahorse tank, but both pieces seem to be doing very well, and the params are quite different. I'll give the reef tank first, which this frag is NOT from. The one in that tank has grown into so many nooks and crannies, there is no way I'll ever get it out. The params on the reef tank are: 58 gal (it's a 3 ft wide, tall tank) The lighting is 1-3 ft blue actinic, 1-3 ft bright white VHO (no actinic) and a little 18" flourescent fixture. Temp maintains @ 79-83 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrates off the chart, salinity 1.027, ph 8.2. That's all the test kits I have. This frag is halfway up the tank, in a corner, with a good amount of water movement. It doesn't pulse, but does lengthen to 4-5" every day. As a side thought, it has grown into a mushroom which it doesn't seem to like, but the shroom doesn't mind at all.
The tank this frag is from is my seahorse tank. It is a reg 55 gal with Eclipse lights (4 @ 15 watts each) and filters. Temp stays at 78 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates off the chart, salinity 1.021, ph 8.2. This xenia is actually growing in 2 places in this tank. The original rock was placed high up in the tank, with good water flow, and it spread down to my rock. When it did, I simply took a pair of scissors and cut it loose, and placed the original rock at the bottom of the tank with much less water flow and lighting. To me, they both appear to be very equal, neither pulse, but both extend to 4-5" every day.
I feed DT's about twice a week, and just started adding a small bit of calcium (Seachem's Reef Complete) on Sat. I feed the reef tank fish mainly flake food, sometimes frozen, but the seahorses get only live ghost shrimp, so I assume the xenia eat micro particles in the water which have nothing to do with what I feed the fish.
I was told, and I now believe it, you can't kill this stuff. Who wants the next piece?

luvabunny
02/10/2004, 10:44 AM
Bump to the top.
Only 1 frag available.

luvabunny
02/20/2004, 06:24 AM
I will be bringing this frag to the meeting regardless if someone signs up for it. I will probably not be checking this site again before the meeting, so if you want it, get with me at the meeting to let me know.

pwhitby
05/04/2004, 08:17 AM
bump

pwhitby
01/09/2005, 07:28 PM
^
this is different from the xenia I offered. People should have some to pass on by now. If you do....please let us know and lets keep the frag program going.

luvabunny
01/10/2005, 09:11 AM
Sorry Paul,
I don't remember who I gave the frag to, and both of mine have died. Unless someone volunteers that they received it from me, this donor thread is useless.

chris4693
01/10/2005, 12:25 PM
I didn't get mine from you, but if it looked like this:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74432Xenia1.JPG

Then I can cut a couple of frags, I would prefer to wait till I have them attached to something before donating. If you don't want them attached I could bring one on Saturday.

Chris

pwhitby
01/10/2005, 12:40 PM
That looks more like the short tentacled variety.

P.

Travis L. Stevens
03/10/2006, 01:41 PM
I regretfully announce this is a dead thread.

EDIT: This Donor thread is now closed and has been moved to the new DONOR FORUM on the COMAS website. You can access this and all the other threads of Donor Corals by going to http://forum.mycomas.com/. This change has been performed to make the donor program corals more accessible and easier to track. Please note, to access the Donor Forum and all other COMAS forums you have to have registered with the COMAS website. This can be done at www.mycomas.com Please register with the same user-name that you use on Reef Central.

Thanks,

Pwhitby