PDA

View Full Version : Claim recommendations

boiblusd
02/14/2004, 06:05 PM
Hi,
I have a thirty gallon reef with 130 w of pc are there any claims that will thrive with that type of light? I know the max need the halide but are there any others that would do fine. I don't really want to have to put a halide on this tank just for heat reasons and where it located in my house.... Thanks.

aquababy
02/14/2004, 06:12 PM
I advise against keeping any tridacna unless you provide the proper lighting. In my opinion 130w PC is not really enough. Also consider light loss when it has to penetrate the water. For long term clam happiness I would apply more light.

this is me
02/15/2004, 05:38 PM
I cant even keep an acropora with those lights even if its on the top. I have the same kind of light as you. CSL 130 PC. Clams are the main reason i'm switching to metal halide. I just ordered the geisman 250w Nova II metal halide. I'm gonna try some smaller clams that i can find in the lfs and just let it grow. I wouldnt even think about putting a clam in my 130w PC, just a waste of money IMO.

Peabody
02/17/2004, 06:46 PM
Agreed.....save your pennies for a MH, because clams won't make it under that light. I upgraded to MH just so I could keep clams (and then was bitten by the acro bug). ANd for the record, you don't need to worry about heat if it is properly planned for. You could do MH just fine without a chiller!