PDA

View Full Version : Sick Serpant

caseyz
02/15/2004, 10:26 PM
I posted this in the newbie forum but no help.

My Serpant star that I got with round 2 of the TBS package has a big hole in the top of his body. I can see white flesh and brown insides flapping in the water. He is still moving around the tank, but he doesn't look good. He has been in there 3 days and the tank params are good. He looked fine when I got him.

Also, both cucumbers are just laying on the substrate. I gave them a push and they move, but don't seem to want to do anything.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks,

Casey

Splach
02/15/2004, 10:47 PM
Hello Casey, it's Casey.

1. Can you post your tank parameters?

2. How much light is the tank getting right now?

My cuke is going crazy running over all the rocks. Is it possible you have a mantis in there that took a bite out of your serpent?

caseyz
02/15/2004, 10:56 PM
Man, that freaks me out. Not too many Casey's out there.

SG 1.025
A < .5
Ni < .1
Na 0
Dkh 9
Ca > 500 (I know, high and I am not adding anything)
PH 8.3
Temp 81

I am worried about a mantis, but haven't seen one yet.

Light is 10 hours a day on the MH. Tank is about 7 weeks old.

caseyz
02/15/2004, 10:58 PM
Oh, and phosphates are 0.

hdtran
02/16/2004, 11:12 AM
I would guess mechanical damage to the serpent star; either it was wedged between a rock and a clam, and the clam decided to close down, or, more likely, the serpent star decided it wanted to eat a big sharp rock. These things don't have too many neurons...

I haven't had good luck with the TBS cucumbers. One died 2-3 days after arrival; the other died a week or two later. However, the third one is thriving. If you read the other posters, many report poor survival. That said, the cucumbers certainly did not poison the tank when they decided to expire. I'd leave the cucumbers alone. If (and when) they decide to start moving and eating, they will. If you poke them, they may think something's trying to eat them. If they die, it's unmistakable--they pretty much disintegrate in about 1 day (and get totally covered with pods & such).

From my reading, serpent stars are pretty hardy, and should be able to regenerate. Also, according to Fenner's book, they don't taste particularly good, so I would tend to doubt the mantis hypothesis.

caseyz
02/16/2004, 11:48 AM
Well, the serpent star is dead. I found him at lunch today. He was in 3 pieces just laying on the substrate. Also I noticed that one of the porcilien crabs that has been in the tank since round one is upside down with his feet in the air in the back of the tank.

I am not sure what is going on here as my water parameters still look pretty good.

Splach
02/16/2004, 11:50 AM
They also play dead really well. The serpent that I had caught in my bottle trap almost went to sleep with the fishies. I finally decided to let the crabs have him so I dumped him back in and he immediately set off accross the sand for the rockworks.

hdtran
02/16/2004, 01:27 PM
Are you sure your porcelain crab expired, as opposed to molted? If there are no innards in the shell, then, it most likely molted.

liverock
02/16/2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by caseyz
Well, the serpent star is dead. I found him at lunch today. He was in 3 pieces just laying on the substrate. Also I noticed that one of the porcilien crabs that has been in the tank since round one is upside down with his feet in the air in the back of the tank.

I am not sure what is going on here as my water parameters still look pretty good.

They need SLOW acclimation, hole in the head is usually a result of salinity changes, they are real sensitive!

Thanks
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

caseyz
02/16/2004, 01:38 PM
Well, I followed the directions, guess he must have been really sensitive. hopefully everyone else makes it okay.

landlord
02/16/2004, 06:53 PM
I had the same issue with a serpent. The poor guy turned into Skeletor on half his body. He pulled through.

-landlord

liverock
02/16/2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by landlord
I had the same issue with a serpent. The poor guy turned into Skeletor on half his body. He pulled through.

-landlord

He lived?

Richard TBS

caseyz
02/16/2004, 09:22 PM
hdtran,

Opps, I missed that, good point. He is in the back of the tank and I am not sure I can get to him so I will just have to keep an eye out for him.

Thanks, there is hope!

Cearbhaill
02/17/2004, 04:24 AM
Mine is still alive- I just make sure he gets a good piece of food everyday to support his recovery.