PDA

View Full Version : T. crocea and strombus maculatus

chewie
08/07/2001, 01:22 PM
do any of you that keep clams (t. crocea in particular) also keep strombus grazers? have they ever bothered any of your clams? I had a crocea for 2 months and 1 week after adding kit from ipsf my precious crocea kicked the bucket!!! fine one day and the next all sucked in. I never saw any strombus near him, but turbo's would clean off his shell every now and then. any ideas????

MiNdErAsR
08/07/2001, 01:37 PM
I have tons of strombus and they never bother my clam.

JohnL
08/07/2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by chewie
do any of you that keep clams (t. crocea in particular) also keep strombus grazers?
Yes
have they ever bothered any of your clams? I had a crocea for 2 months and 1 week after adding kit from ipsf my precious crocea kicked the bucket!!! fine one day and the next all sucked in.
I have never seen them hurt anything in the tank.

I feel for you. I lost two crocea clams within a few days of each other a few weeks ago. Both were in the tank for about 4 months. I suspect starvation.

Here's a picture of one of them the night before it died.
http://www.reefcentral.com/members/johnl/images/DSCN0874.jpg

mobert
08/07/2001, 01:40 PM
Sorry for your loss. I have Crocea and the IPSP grazers. No problems.

chewie
08/07/2001, 01:45 PM
I guess that's what i figured. thank you guys for speedy response!!! I guess I'll rack my brain untill i find out more on what caused it. JohnL that crocea is almost identical to the one i had. beautiful clam!!! too bad yours died too. did you figure out what went wrong with yours?

JohnL
08/07/2001, 01:45 PM
How big was your clam?

Were you feeding any phytoplankton?

What kind of lighting was it receiving?

chewie
08/07/2001, 01:53 PM
I fed DT every other day per instructions i doubled the dosage. he was about 3"plus and was under a 400w 10k in a 29 gal, 4in dsb, 40lbs lr, calc 400, alk 3.5, nitrate at or at least 10, the tank is almost 5 months since adding salt, dsb is doing pretty good and I've been feeding it once some times twice a day to keep some nitrates.