PDA

View Full Version : large angel with clams? help please!!!

mrpet
02/17/2004, 02:15 AM
i was going to purchase a chrysurus angel to go in my 180 with my sps corals and clams now im not sure? i have 13 clams in my tank now does anyone out there keep any of the larger angels with thier clams? the angel is like 500 bucks...anyone try emperor or queens majestic koran passers macs asfur? the reason i list some of these is because i have asked about the chrysurus angel before its kinda rare and no one resonded? so is it worth a shot?
should i go for it or not thanks.....scott

Fish-o-holic
02/17/2004, 02:19 AM
If angels were 100% reefsafe, I would have one in my tank; emperor to be exact. It's up to you really. If you're feeling courageous, go for it. Every fish has a different personality. I personally would not chance it if it were me. If you do decide to do so, start out with a juvi and try to "train" it to do the right thing. HTH

Sardaukar
02/17/2004, 02:56 PM
There are people in this forum with many different angels in their reef tanks. Seems like most of the angels are pretty much guarenteed to eat soft corals and LPS, but may or may not bother clams and SPS. Its a toss up with most of the big angels. You may want to test out the fish first. If you can get your hands on a smaller tank, maybe but a clam or two and a few SPS frags in there. Think of it as a quarentine + test. If it leaves your stuff alone, then consider introducing it into your main reef.

If you want an angel that is guarenteed to be reef safe, look at the Genicanthus species like the Wantanabei or Swallow tail. They don't grow quite as large as their bigger cousins and an added benefit is that you can keep a pair or trio of them in a tank your size.

Vili_Shark
02/17/2004, 03:04 PM
Hi,
Your P.chrysurus is not rare, it is just endemic to the east coast of Africa and being imported mainly from Kenya.
If you dont mind me saying, I think you're about to get ripped off if you pay 500 bucks for this fish, unless it is over a foot, and then they can blame the freight charges maybe.
chrysurus like most Pomacanthus spp. can be seen in Reef aquariums, main problem is that you cant really generalize all as one, while you see a 3"specimen at your friend's tank touching no clams or Acros, you can buy an identical specimen in the shop that will nip at about everything after a week it is in the tank.
From the species you gave:
Majestic :better chance
Queen: dont even try
Emperor:great success next to big failures
Passer: dont think about it
Mac:I had nothing but nippers, I heard of ppl who had success
Asfur:I have one right now, waz excellent never touched anything till a month ago he dcided to eat a small clam, I cant say what was the situation of this clam as I was a broad, now I watch him very carefully.

If you wanna be on the safe sidewhile keeping Angels go for Genicathus spp. these are great reef fish.
If you're planning to spend few Franklins, you might wanna do it on a safer target as far as your clams goes, maybe try a C.joculator, super nice fish.

Peabody
02/17/2004, 06:42 PM
I don't have much to add to the good posts above, but wanted to know that I have a few friends in the local reef club....one had an angel for 3 years and then it all of the sudden went on a rampage and killed his clams for no apparent reason. Even if you find a "safe" one it doens't mean it will always be safe....hate to say it, they're so beautiful! :(

Sardaukar
02/17/2004, 07:41 PM
Keeping any angel outside of a Genicathus species is a risk. Of course, having a reef tank at all is a risk.

mrpet
02/18/2004, 02:51 AM
im not paying 500 im in the biz and can get it wholesale was going to get a pair of bellus but next to the conspicus angel its my favorite was going to get a sub adult and try it i guess its kinda stupid to ask for everyones opions when i most likley will try anyway,was hopeing someone had tried it with sucess thanks for the advice vili shark and yes you are correct you just dont know whats going to happen each fish is different you guys know how it is when you want something you usualy make a bad choice oh well....still undecided maybe i will go with a jockulator insted it too is very nice anyone else with advice please chime in
thanks again scott

Vili_Shark
02/19/2004, 04:31 AM
Scott
You sure didnt make up your mind yet : )
Conspi? now that's a mega fish, and you'll have to pay more than 5 franklins, even wholesale.
From my opinion u got better chance with a Conspi, like his cousins the Scribbled and the personifer, I saw and had experience with them many times in reef tanks, very seldom they bother SPS or Clams
G.bellus is a good risk free choice, they are a work of art.
If you can put your hand on a pair of red sea G.watanabei go for it.
Good luck.

Sardaukar
02/19/2004, 11:23 AM
I agree the wantanabei are fantastic. Plus there is no risk of it sampling your clams :D

Project Reef
02/19/2004, 06:34 PM
Hey Villa, have you ever seen a Red Sea Regal in a reef tank with smaller clams?

Vili_Shark
02/20/2004, 05:08 AM
Hi Project.
I have few hundreds dives in the Red Sea,been watching Regals for long periods of time, I never saw them bothering clams.
In the aquarium, I saw Red Sea Regals in Clam tanks, but when I think about it, I never saw it with small clams.
Ya mean like 1-1.5" clams?
One of the best starter food for Regals are mussles....

Project Reef
02/20/2004, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the information Vili. I am looking for a juvi. Red Sea regal, 2" or so. After a good QT period, it will eventually be housed in my main display which houses clams mainly in the 2-4" range.

- Ali

Vili_Shark
02/20/2004, 06:39 AM
Hi again,
I dont have experience with Red Sea Regals as far as IN the aquarium.
My experience is with Kenya, Sri Lankan, Indonesian(dont touch) and Phillipino(dont touch) Regals.
With the above a 2" specimen, is just abit too small, it's better to get a 4" specimen that eats well in the shop.