PDA

View Full Version : Bought a maxima

Sam Pirozzolo
02/18/2004, 10:06 PM
I was in the lfs the other day and they had beautiful maximas at a price I could not pass up. Usually I do some research before a purchase. I belive I have what I need but I would like advise. The clam has been in my tank for 5 days now and seems fine. It stayed where I put it although it did stand up. It is 4-5 inches across. It is open and it's mantel is out. The color is good but not exactly like in the store. The srore had a shallow tank directly beneith a big MH.

My tank is 120 gal, 2-250 watt MH and 4 VHOs. I feed DTs or Marine Snow to the tank in general. My water is fine. I add calcium, strontium, magneisum and iodine.

Any suggestions?

Kitzo
02/18/2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Sam Pirozzolo
Any suggestions?
Yep.
Ditch Marine Snow. It has virtually no nutritional value whatoever.
Clams eat/need phytoplankton.
Live phyto is beter but if dead is all you can get then use Kent's Phytoplex.
What are your Ca and Alk levels?

Sam Pirozzolo
02/18/2004, 11:10 PM
Ca a bit high 520 Alk 120

Scuba Dog
02/19/2004, 03:13 AM
Sam Pirozzolo
Sounds like your doing fine for a clam sam...i might move the clam up in the rock work some maybey about half way up since it is a big one it will need more light than a smaller max would....but if you have a deep sand bed you might be able to get away with keeping it on the sand bed........if you had 400's then keeping one on the sand bed wouldet be a problem at all......

Rothie
02/19/2004, 09:07 AM
Here is a thread you will want to read about iodine and strontium.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2081125#post2081125
Enjoy your clam.Your lighting is fine.

Kitzo
02/19/2004, 01:16 PM
Alk 120?
Do you mean 12.0?
If you stop all additives for a day or so your levels, esp Ca, will fall into line, then continue the dosing.

Mexican Hermit
03/03/2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Kitzo
Yep.
Ditch Marine Snow. It has virtually no nutritional value whatoever.
Clams eat/need phytoplankton.
Live phyto is beter but if dead is all you can get then use Kent's Phytoplex.
What are your Ca and Alk levels?

Kitzo,

What do you think of Two little fishes Phytoplan?

Sam Pirozzolo
03/03/2004, 11:29 AM
Sorry not to get back to you sooner.
Update-- the clam is dead. My Ca is 480 the Alk is 120 ppm which translates into about 7dKH.

Rothie
03/03/2004, 02:30 PM
Sam-I'm sorry your clam didn't make it.It may have just been stress or an unhealthy clam.In my experience, strontium and iodine take much longer to have an effect.

Peabody
03/05/2004, 03:12 PM
Yes, I would also vote unhealthy clam. But, just to check, what other fish/inverts do you have in your tank? Someone could have been pickign on him when you weren't around.