PDA

View Full Version : ???

PSEUDOREEFER
02/22/2004, 04:48 PM
I've been looking into getting an octopus or a cuttlefish for a while, but I'm still confused about which species to get. Most species I've heard don't live longer than two years. Is there any species that stays pretty small and has a long lifespan? Also, where is everyone getting their food from. A constant supply of crabs or snails would be too expensive. What is everyones view of the "perfect tank" so I have something to shoot for?

Thanks

Spring1
02/23/2004, 07:46 PM
Don't know about cuttles but the best Octo for a tank is a Bimaculoides. They require a temp in the low 70's, and will readily eat ghost shrimp when they are young. You can purchase captive bred baby bimacs at octopets.com or fishsupply.com for about $25. The babies are about 2 months old when you get them and can live up to a year and a half, I am told. I just got one last month and it is doing great.

Spring

kmk2307
03/05/2004, 01:54 AM
PSEUDOREEFER,

I think most cephalopods, unfortunately, have short lifespans. I would also recommend O. bimaculoides. I would avoid cuttlefish as they are extremely fragile.

Kevin

cirri
03/05/2004, 02:15 PM
Larger cephs do have longer life spans, but the delima is tank size. A GPO will live several years, but where are you going to fit that tank?

While it is true that cuttles are delicate, all cephs are. A cuttle is harder to aquire in the states, and I have a list of people who are dying to get one.

I do agree with the bimac suggestion. I have one too, but as long as you know what a ceph requires you could do a cuttle with the same efforts.

I keep my tank a little about 68 - 69 degrees, it will increase there lifespan by doing this as Spring stated.

cirri
03/05/2004, 02:16 PM
edit - a more important point in my opinion is interaction with me. A bimac is diurnal, while most cephs are nocturnal.

True , they will get used to a feeding cycle, but nocturnal creatures are fun just for the few hours I struggle to stay awake to watch them.

gwrulzmylife
03/10/2004, 08:09 AM
www.octopets.com is the only place I'd recommend. My octo is a monster now! He's an agressive eater. Make sure you buy lots of clams as mine gobbles them up. He's almost taken them from my hand, but I just get too skitish (sp?) and drop them as he reaches for them. He also loves common coast shrimp, got them from a florida supplier, can't remember the name right now. Free shipping and I got a huge bag full. Added 1/2 to the refugium and 1/2 to a dedicated feeder tank. Added 6-10 about once a week, octo is fast but he'd rather eat clams or fiddlers.

Hope this helps!