PDA

View Full Version : Worm... Good or Bad?

kebs
02/23/2004, 04:14 PM
Posted this in New to Hobby but they never respond. You guys are much better and friendlier...

I got home from work today and turned on my light to find my xenia not pulsing like normal. I looked closer and found a pink worm about 2 inches long wrapped around the base of the xenia. It was about 2 millimeter in thickness I would say. I poked the worm with my feeding prong and it eventually ran off under a rock. Is this worm bad? Was it hurting my xenia? Sorry no pic. Any advice would be great! Thanks

hdtran
02/23/2004, 07:54 PM
Kebs,

Without a picture, we're literally in the dark...

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that worms and whatnot are frequently maligned, but generally never attack or feed on healthy corals. Hope this is reassuring enough for you.

8BALL_99
02/28/2004, 11:57 PM
Is this what you have? I have no Idea what it is but I just happend to catch this pic of mine tonight.:rollface: sorry the pic isnt' the best he was in a hurry

8BALL_99
02/29/2004, 12:02 AM
Another pic :strooper:

kebs
02/29/2004, 07:12 AM
Yeah he looks like that but fatter, maybe twice as fat. I finally got a pic of him but it may be too large to post. Wonder if someone could help us id your worm. Have you seen it on any of your coral?

hdtran
02/29/2004, 09:04 AM
It's a bit fuzzy, but it sure looks like a polychaete (bristleworm).

Beneficial detritivores. If they are on your coral, they are most likely eating detritus or slime off of it.

8BALL_99
02/29/2004, 04:49 PM
Nope I haven't seen him on any corals, But I haven't really seen him but a couple of times.