PDA

View Full Version : XM 10K ohh boy oh boy

akacable
03/02/2004, 07:33 PM
Just placed an order for 2 175 XM 10Ks. Can't wait for there arrival.

MarkS
03/02/2004, 08:24 PM
You'll like them. I have the 175 watt 20,000K. Great bulb for the price.

akacable
03/09/2004, 06:00 PM
Got my order today. I fired up the XM 10k 175w on one side of the tank and left the Venture 10K on he other. The XM looked very yellow in comparison. The nipple was oriented in the up position on the XM. After the bulbs cooled I reoriented the XM to have the nipple at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. This time the bulb gave me a very bright white. Go figure.
Very happy with packing of the bulbs. Peanuts and bubble wrap around the bulbs. Thanks for the care in processing my order PA. Kudos.

akacable
03/10/2004, 03:22 PM
Day 2. OMG! These lights are bright white! I know I havn't passed the breakin period for these bulbs. Gosh these bulbs are awesome. If you look at my gallary pics you can see my previous bulbs. The old bulbs are Venture 10 175w. Abit bluish. I posted to someone that the color was a bit yellow tinged before but not really. I am glad I bought the XMs. The CRI index for the Venture bulb is 61. I really have to be careful with these new XMs as the research that JBNY did states the PAR rating is really up there. My photo period is on 5 -6 hrs with these new bulbs. I have noticed some bleaching with hairy mushrooms! I can't say enough about these bulbs. Great white color, great PAR, and great price! I'll try to get some updated pics of my tank. I wish I knew how to make the pictures come out bigger in my gallery?

Doppler
03/22/2004, 08:14 AM
I just ordered the same bulbs,I was wondering how they look as of today?

akacable
03/23/2004, 08:24 PM
Got home today and observed that one of the XMs being YELLOW. The sand on this side of the tank with a slight diatom bloom. Can someone let me know the proper nipple orientation for these bulbs? I have been reading some post regarding varying nipple positions to correct this. I have sent correspondace to the XM websiteregarding thi matter. I have not received an email regarding my query as of yet. I'll try to adjust this with nipple orientation if not these guys are gonna go back.
I have read 12 oclock and anywhere between 10 and 2. Right? Chime in PA.

Doppler
03/23/2004, 08:50 PM
I bet you got a bad bulb,i had a ushio do that to me and had a little alge bloom.But damn that sux

Doppler
03/25/2004, 09:19 AM
I got mine yesterday and they're much brighter and whiter the the Ushio.I really like the way they start up on my probe start,no noise

akacable
03/25/2004, 12:55 PM
Let's work together since we are on the same message thread. I oriented my nipples so they are facing 9 or 3 oclock. It seems to give me a brighter and less of a yellow light. I have my digi cam on charge and will try to post pics so that we can compare. It seems to me one side of the tank is less bright and yellow hued than the other. I have inspected each bulb with the hood up and it seemd that way to me.

Doppler
03/29/2004, 02:15 PM
Well,i'm getting a funky yellow color too.Almost looks like a 65k bulb..blah

Doppler
04/04/2004, 05:45 AM
Mine are looking real nice again.I took them outcleaned out the socket,put them back with the nipple at 2:00 and it's a crisp white/blue again.I'll keep you updated

akacable
04/04/2004, 10:43 AM
"Crisp, white, blue" hmm.... Mine seem abit yellow tinged still. How blue are yours? Can you post pic? I have pics of my tank but not downloaded yet. When I look through the ends of the tank, I notice a much more distinct yellowing. I run carbon 24/7 btw. I'll try to post on my day off. So far I'm not impressed. I'm at 3 and 9 o'clock with my orientation.

Tracie
06/10/2004, 05:22 PM
Any updates? I got 175w'ers for one tank and 250w'ers for the other. The 250s looked okay yesterday, but look horrible today. The 175s just look awful in general. I'll check the nipple position and do a search here as well to see if anyone knows the secret to getting these to work. My 1.5 year old ushios looked 100% better than these :-(

Doppler
06/10/2004, 05:32 PM
Well one of my bulbs went real yellow the other day.I looked at the bulb and noticed there was a white cloudy film at the base of the bulb.I contacted Jason at XM and heres his quote
"The white “coating” on the base means that the connection between the mogul socket and glass tube was damaged in transit or during installation." They are sending me a new bulb.Check your bulbs if they have a white coating contact XM.My other bulb has a black mirror like coating on the base from what he said thats normal...HTH

pogodzib
06/11/2004, 07:55 AM
I have tried 4 different XM 175w bulbs and all of them have looked like a 6500k bulb. Very yellow in all nipple positions. I think they must be having a problem with the 175w bulbs.

Tracie
06/11/2004, 05:21 PM
the only bulb that looks good has a silver film around the base of the bulb. i guess i'll call xm on monday.

Doppler
06/11/2004, 05:28 PM
Heres what my burnt one looks like at the base.Nice hole in ithttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/39306Burnt2_.jpg This is the 2nd one in 3 weeks the other bulb i have has run without a glitch from the day it arrived