PDA

View Full Version : New clam question

SSpitz4
03/05/2004, 01:23 PM
Hello to all~ I am pretty new to the world of clam keeping and have my first clam today. I have had him only a few hours and I have done some research before purchasing. I put my new crosea on the sandbed and left him alone (reading that one placement and leave alone) . While watching him thru the glass I noticed that he is gaping some . It's very alert and is responding to the activity around the tank but, there is some gaping. Is this just acclimation? I don't want to loose him. He was purchased locally and only had a short car ride to my aquarium. Any advise would be great. Sherry S.

Peabody
03/05/2004, 03:02 PM
Croceas are known to "gape", especially after a time of stress like shipping.

But, you need to make sure your water parameters are in check and the lighting is sufficient. On the bottom of a 75gallon tank a crocea would need 250w metal halide lights. With 175s, high up on the rocks. What kind of lights do you have?

Best of luck!!

SSpitz4
03/05/2004, 07:28 PM
Hi! Thanks for answering my question! I have an Aquaspacelight w/10,000 250 mh x 2 and one 20,000 150 mh. A total of 650 watts. I have the clam placed on the sandbed with a piece of liverock under him. My water parameters are: Salinity .025, calcium 450 ppm, high alk, temp about 80f. I am in the process of lowering a phosphate problem with the phos at .01 right now. It was .05. I fed the clam some DT's alittle while ago. I also placed some rubble rock around him to help him feel more secure. At present he is looking a bit better. Sherry S.

Peabody
03/06/2004, 10:50 AM
Sounds perfect for him! I wouldn't worry......croceas are known "gapers" like I said, and sounds like you have perfect lighting, and great parameters! Best of luck...keep us posted!