PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Mantis

rjwilson37
03/11/2004, 11:59 AM
I use to have freshwater and when a Oscar ran into the heater, it made a light bang against the side of the tank.

Every now and then I am hearing this from my tank, is this possibly a Mantis somewhere in the back of my tank. I have never seen him, I just hear this light bang from time to time. I was just thinking the Blue Tang is just bumping something, but I am not sure there is anything to bump, everything is pretty well secure.

I this sound possibly from a Mantis Shrimp, is this the clicking sound people are talking about. It sounds more like a light bang, just like when an Oscar use to run into the heater and it would have a light bang against the side of the tank.

porky
03/11/2004, 12:21 PM
Could be a mantis, could me a pistol shrimp. There is a good atricle here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-03/jf/feature/index.htm
Is the popping in rapid succession or is it one and done?

rjwilson37
03/11/2004, 12:23 PM
It is one and done, and I have not seen anything besides the regular ihabitants I put in.

porky
03/11/2004, 12:52 PM
The one loud "pop" followed silence sounds like a mantis.
Try to isolate the rock it is in and remove that rock! It's gonna take patience more than anything on your end to catch one. They are pretty smart.
Did you read the article?

rjwilson37
03/11/2004, 01:03 PM
Yes, I read the article. I have only heard the pop like 5-6 times since I have had the tank setup which is almost 9 months now.