PDA

View Full Version : just got a baby maxima

Mr. 6
03/20/2004, 09:12 PM
I was just at one of my local LFS's and picked up a nice little maxima. I'ts about 1.5 inches and has good coloring.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. Of course I asked the guys at the store, but I just want to see if they just wanted my money and didn't care about the clam.

First, they said it is good to put them on the sandbed, which I have (pretty deep). Secondly, I asked them if my coral banded shrimp, and red legged hermits would pick at it and they said the clam would be fine.

My tank is a 20 gal with 175 watt metal halide. Any comments/ suggestions would be nice. Thanks

masterfuji01
03/20/2004, 09:58 PM
you might want to put it close to the top jsut for light. putting it on the sand bed will work, lots of people dp that to prevent the clam to attaching to their rock structure. if you know you want your clam to stay one place and can commit to that place...id say put him up somewhere. mine is about 5 inches from teh top of the water and it loves it.

so far as the CBS...i have no idea...i woulndt imagine it would be a problem though. i have red leg hermits and they never pay attention to my clam other than to eat some stuff off the shell every once in a while.

aaron

Mr. 6
03/21/2004, 02:08 PM
thanks for the reply, just one more question reguarding spot feeding. I've read about the 2 litre trick, but I was wondering if I even needed to do that with such a small tank. Its only a 20 gal.

Bamm Bamm
03/23/2004, 01:26 PM
In such a small tank you probably don't need to target feed but it can't help.. I just picked a baby maxima same size as yours a few weeks ago and it's doing great in my nano. I have it sitting on a old clam shell actually raised about the sand bed in a tupperware container. I'm afraid of my hermits messing with it.. I feed DT's every few days. ( I was target feeding but decided it's not necessary with this size tank