PDA

View Full Version : Donor Limpets

jeffb
04/01/2004, 08:45 PM
I have several limpets that I want to remove from my tank. They are eating the sponges in my tank and I like the sponges more than the limpets.

I would like to donate them to anyone in the club that would like them and be able to support them.

I know that they eat sponges and according to my books, they are also algae eaters. I have heard that their mouths are very powerful, and can possibly damage acrylic. I don't know if that is true or not but I'm hoping that someone else on the forum will know for sure.

One of my books says that they can also mow over small-polyped corals. I have referred to them as bulldozers because they tend to go where they want and push through things as they go. They have a very strong grip to whatever they are on and are difficult to remove if you want to.

I have 4 that I will bring to the next meeting and will give to anyone who wants them, but please make sure that they are compatible with your system.

mdiddy7s
04/01/2004, 08:51 PM
I would love to try them out for size. I am fairly new and am looking for some intersteing things to put in my tank. What is needed to make sure they are provided for well as far as systems go? Are they pretty hardy? Will they eat shrimp or snails and such if given the chance? I would like to know for knowledge if nothing else. I have never heard of them.

Lazyreefer
04/04/2004, 02:17 AM
I will take a limpet as well.

rbb213
04/04/2004, 07:19 AM
Im curious to see what they look like....

Rocky

pwhitby
05/04/2004, 08:19 AM
bump

pwhitby
06/02/2004, 07:47 AM
In an attempt to clean these threads up.....
I will make a list of who has the frags and who wants frags. AS you get frags. Please copy the list and change it as you give a frag away and move your name from "wanting" to "have". If there are mistakes in the list, such as yours died or you didnt get any...then change the list.

Also...........if you are the original donor...........we need a picture and a description of each coral for the website.

Limpets
original Donor Jeffb

as of June 1 2004

Have

??

Want

if you want..........add your name

please ammend the above list as necessary

P.

pwhitby
07/16/2004, 10:47 AM
anyone interested?

indoreefer
07/16/2004, 01:24 PM
I will take one (two or three if nobody else wants them).

Limpets
original Donor Jeffb

as of July 16 2004

Have

??

Want

Mdiddy7s
rbb213
Indoreefer

(I think this is the order of who wanted them)
Here is a website about them!!

http://www.mesa.edu.au/friends/seashores/limpets.html

xpawn
10/16/2006, 01:08 PM
Want

Mdiddy7s
rbb213
Indoreefer
Terrell J (xpawn)

Serra
10/16/2006, 04:22 PM
I don't know what kind of limpets Paul has. I bought a scutus or black limpet that eats Bryopsis algae and it has done a great job of cleaning up the algae. It doesn't bother the star polyps at all which was my concern.

Depending where you read, they are or are not reef safe. Not much help am I? My black one isn't eating my sponges. I don't really have a reef...just some shrooms and polyps...

EDIT: This Donor thread is now closed and has been moved to the new DONOR FORUM on the COMAS website. You can access this and all the other threads of Donor Corals by going to http://forum.mycomas.com/. This change has been performed to make the donor program corals more accessible and easier to track. Please note, to access the Donor Forum and all other COMAS forums you have to have registered with the COMAS website. This can be done at www.mycomas.com Please register with the same user-name that you use on Reef Central.

Thanks,

Pwhitby