PDA

View Full Version : which is LOWEST light requirement clam?

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Which clam would be the LOWEST light requiring clam?

Any tips on them would be great.

Thanks!

-chipmunk

Guy
08/31/2001, 11:52 AM
Tapes don't really need any light. They are filter feeders. They will dig into the sand bed and stick their siphon out into the water column to filter the water.

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 12:11 PM
Guy,

Thanks for the info. I might actually have some of those, I got some SandBed Clams from IPSF.

How about some of the Tridacna clams? or other big colorful clam that stays above the sand's surface? which one of these would be the least light dependant?

thanks! -chipmunk

MiNdErAsR
08/31/2001, 12:30 PM
I think when it comes to clams, colorful equates to light loving. What kind of lights do you have, and how deep is your tank? Do you have a deep sandbed as well? Give us some details about your system, and we can help you make a more informed decision.

chipmunk
08/31/2001, 03:23 PM
MiNdErAsR,

I have a 24" deep tank, the sandbed is 4" deep.

I have a Crocea that seems to be doing well, placed on rock a few inches from the surface. It looks great, but I wanted a few clams on the sandbed as well, and heard that the Crocea won't do well unless very close to my lights.

I'm running CSL PC 96w x 2 (actinic & 10,000k).

Thanks!

-chipmunk

MiNdErAsR
08/31/2001, 05:01 PM
What you heard is absolutely true. Tridacna crocrea is one of (if not the) most light demanding of the giant clams. Even with the clam directly under the light, I'd say it still isn't enough. I wouldn't recommend placing any clams in the sandbed until you are able to upgrade your lighting.

A quote from Daniel Knop's book, Giant Clams, Chapter 6. Keeping Clams in the Aquarium, subsection Illumination (p. 131)...
I recommend metal halide "TS" lamps of 250 Watt (Osram TS 250W/D) and tube shaped lamps with the socket E 27 or E40 (Osram T 250W/D)...250 Watt are used for tanks 60cm high, 400 Watt with tanks of 80 cm, and 1000 Watt with tanks of 100 cm water column.

Be *sure* to feed some sort of phytoplankton, preferably live such as DT's. Clams under 4" in size need to be fed, especially when lighting requirements are not being met.

chipmunk
09/04/2001, 10:43 AM
Thanks!

quiteallright14
12/13/2001, 07:00 PM
how quickly will a well feed well light clam grow? I know they can get huge--but are we talking an inch a year or what?

MiNdErAsR
12/13/2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by quiteallright14
how quickly will a well feed well light clam grow? I know they can get huge--but are we talking an inch a year or what?

Depends on a lot of things such as the species and clam health, water parameters and availability of food to name a few. I had a Tridacna gigas that put on ¼" of new shell in 3 to 4 weeks! It continued to grow at this rate until I finally realized it would rapidly outgrow my system. So I sold it off to someone with a larger tank. Every clam and every system is different, so it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer. :bigeyes: