PDA

View Full Version : Id?

LarryS
04/20/2004, 11:24 AM
Hey there:

Have 30lbs TBS live rock. I'm a newbie to reefing, so could use some help identifying these very thin worm like protrusions from the rock... They are white and greyish striped, sometimes come 1/4" out of the rock, sometimes 1/2"... smoothith, not with bristles or anything. Also, they don't dart in and out fast like other worms I've seen. Just kinda slowly move in and out waving gently.

Is this indeed a worm of some sort, and if so,does anyone know what kind? Or maybe its something else.

Any comments appreciated.

Vamplestat
04/20/2004, 11:28 AM
Sounds like tube worm casings. You have a pic?

nuts590
04/20/2004, 01:35 PM
I have them too... they're feather dusters... more info can be found here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polychaetes.htm

Cearbhaill
04/21/2004, 07:02 AM
I'm a newbie to reefing, so could use some help identifying these very thin worm like protrusions from the rock... They are white and greyish striped, sometimes come 1/4" out of the rock, sometimes 1/2"... smoothith, not with bristles or anything. Also, they don't dart in and out fast like other worms I've seen. Just kinda slowly move in and out waving gently.
Sounds more to me like the tiny filter feeding sea stars.

nuts590
04/21/2004, 08:51 AM
I just re-read that thread... and I agree, it's probably juvenile/dwarf brittle stars.. I have probably 50-100 of them, they're all inside empty barnacles on my rock. They just hang out inside the barnacles with one or two arms hanging out of the hole just waving in the current... kinda interesting to watch...

LarryS
04/21/2004, 07:01 PM
Hey guys and/or gals:

It has the look of a juvenile/dwarf brittle star, and just like you, I have many of them. They just don't appear to have the barbs that larger brittle stars clearly show.

Thanks to all who posted responses. I am trying hard to learn just exactly what is in my tank. Lots of fun..