PDA

View Full Version : Snails from sea of cortez?

triggerSD
05/17/2004, 06:40 PM
They are small and look kind of like the whelks only their bodies are white. the clam has been in my tank for two days and the show no interest. should I be worried. I brought them from san felipe a few weeks ago and they stay buried until night time. I am scared. lol

Snail Guy
05/19/2004, 04:15 PM
Hey triggerSD, if they look like a whelk, you ought to be concerned. Best to isolate them and establish what they are before trusting them with your clams.

Myself and many others are happy to assist but your description alone makes it impossible to even guess. There are indeed whelks with white bodies but this alone is not enough to confirm your suspicion.

Your best bet is to ask Dr. Ron. Read his "post rules," particularly those specific to snail id's. In the end, it will cut to the chase and best assist you.

If you can't get a picture, a handy and easily obtained Peterson Guide, "A Field Guide to Pacific Coast Shells Including shells of Hawaii and the Gulf of California" by Percy A. Morris may also help.
(Almost every library has a copy.)

Cheers,
Bob

triggerSD
05/29/2004, 12:44 PM
I am going to try and get a pic to post. They are just really small and dont know how the pic will come out. They burrow and come out at night or when food is dropped in the tank. They have not touched my clams at all or even noticed them. Thanks for the reply.